VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PluX59

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I tried to compile Dosbox on win32 platform, but my tries were unsuccessful 🙁
The main reason is that I'm very interested in debugging some games, in order to get file format specs (graphs in utopia, Railroad tycoon, etc...). I searched the DosBox site and this forum too, in hope to find a link, but I haven't found one !

Does a debugger-enabled version of Dosbox exists ? Where can I find it ?

Thanks 😀

Christophe

Reply 4 of 8, by PluX59

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I did it... But I have to post too... And I don't have any interesting question... And I don't want to spam 😀

I retry to compile my Dosbox alone, so 😢

I saw in the README file, that the use of VC6 generate faulty code in core_normal.cpp (or something like that) ? What is the portion that gives problem ?

Thanks for the response 😀

Christophe

Reply 5 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

basicly you get a flawed dosbox.
the cpu core (core_nornal is the default core) has some instructions which don't get compiled properly.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 8, by jurgen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Have you read the thread about compiling on Win32 using MinGW (named 'CVS Builds (every 2nd day)' on the Dosbox Development Forum) ?

in short : see http://www.mingw.org/msys.shtml :
Install msys 1.09, then the latest MinGW and MSys DTK,

Then install the DirectX devel. libraries under MSys (http://www.libsdl.org/extras/win32/common/, download directx-devel.tar.gz)

Then you will also need libSDL (www.libsdl.org) : download http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.6.tar.gz from there, and extract & compile it under Msys/MinGW

Then get a dosbox source tarball somewhere (version 0.60 or CVS), and extract it. Type ./autogen.sh, then ./configure, edit the config.h file to suit your needs, and then type 'make'.
As the initial dosbox.exe is quite large (+- 9 Mb) you may want to remove the debugging info : strip --strip-all dosbox.exe (execute under Msys)

I know this is a quick overview and not a complete explanation (for a more complete explanation, see the thread I mentioned, it only forgets to mention the DirectX libraries)

J.

Reply 7 of 8, by PluX59

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Jurgen 😀

I already read the post, and tried to compile (I also noticed DirectX is missing).

I have little problems with the compilation, but I'll continue 😀 I just don't understand why I sometimes had '.a' libraries and sometimes '.dll'... Which type must I keep / generate ?

Thanks for the responses 😀

Christophe

Reply 8 of 8, by PluX59

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I successfully compiles my debug-enabled dosbox version 😁

I got a problem with SDL, the same as Jurgen (problems with DirectX files), so I grabbed the SDL version of the win32 release of dosbox-0.60.

Things works well, and I started to debug Utopia, to find how graphs are compressed 😀

Thanks to people who have helped me 😀

Christophe