VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ecowriter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been using DosBox for years now just to play Master of Orion. But I really need a full screen. I had it working under Ubuntu 11.10, (although it wouldn't return the screen size after I quit), but now that I've upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 the <alt> <enter> won't do anything and I am left with a tiny window that is hard to see at my age.
Has anyone had this problem? Do you have a fix for it. or suggestions, please?

Regards,
ecowriter, Fred

Reply 1 of 13, by ecowriter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I can get it maximized now if I start the game first, but that never used to be necessary. It still won't unmaximize after and when I exit my screen is grossly emlarged in my Linux and I have to reboot to get it back again, so if anyone has ideas about that. I'd be pleased to hear them.

Regards,
ecowriter, Fred

Reply 2 of 13, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might want to try changing the value of "output=" in dosbox.conf.
No guarantees that it'll work, especially if (as I suspect) something's screwed up in the Unity that comes with Ubuntu 12.04.
But probably worth a try.

PS Also you could try changing the fullresolution to more closely match what your desktop is set to. It might be that the fullscreen is trying to change to a resolution no longer supported in Ubuntu, and might be causing problems.

Reply 5 of 13, by ecowriter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. I went through the dosbox.conf a few days ago and I don't remember what I did now but it's working. I loved the bit where I could enter Autoexec.bat commands and I get everything I want now without typing. I've even backed those up so I won't loose them. I'll go through it again and see if "fullscreen" is true. I appreciate your response.

Regards,
ecowriter, Fred

Reply 6 of 13, by Arlo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone know a solution to this problem? I'm having this problem too, and I would love to know what ecowriter fixed in his configuration file.

I changed fullscreen=false to fullscreen=true, but that only makes the program start in fullscreen. Pressing Alt-Enter after that only works once, to switch it to a window. If I press it again after that, it won't go back to fullscreen. Conversely, if I start with it windowed and press Alt-Enter, it doesn't switch to full screen at all. So it looks like the functionality to switch it to fullscreen is broken completely, whereas the functionality to switch it to windowed still works for some reason.

Reply 7 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's a problem of unity that seems to hog the alt key. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/806255

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, doesn't seem as if they are in a hurry, thougg 🙁

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 13, by ecowriter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only play one game, Master of Orion. So I only ever use the <Alt> key once when I'm done. maybe that's why I never see a problem any more. I am using Ubuntu 12.04, and my .conf file looks like this:

[sdl]

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]

language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=32

[render]

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

[mixer]

nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=40

[midi]

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

[sblaster]

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=fast
oplrate=44100

[gus]

gus=false
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandy=auto
tandyrate=44100
disney=true

[joystick]

joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false

[serial]

serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto

[ipx]

ipx=false

[autoexec]

mount c dos/c
c:
or

"or" is a short script that runs the game.
I did change some other stuff further down, but I can't remember what. The problem that used to bother me was that when DOSBOX was finished, it had left my screen blown up and I had to reboot to get the proper resolution back again. That is no longer a problem.

Regards,
ecowriter, Fred

Reply 11 of 13, by warjo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a related problem, using DOSbox-.74 in Windows 7, 64 bit. When I first used the program, I got the drive and folder mounted properly and the file ran on a small screen. I used alt enter to go full screen, and it was great. But after a few times, I started getting the full screen, but the program didn't respond to the keyboard of mouse. I would enter a command at full screen and get no response, but find, on using alt enter again, that the command had been recorded on the little screen. The problem was intermittent for awhile, but now happens every time. I've gone through the manual and tried changing fullscreen=false to fullscreen=true, and it loads the program with full screen. But It won't respond to keyboard or mouse. Is this a known problem? -Joe Ward

Reply 12 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

actually that is not related since the op has a problem with unity on ubuntu linux...

your problem is most likely graphic drivers related. change output in the dosbox config and/or update your graphic driver to the latest.

Reply 13 of 13, by warjo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. I used the next option in the list for "Output" -- which was "Overlay"-- and it worked. I ran the game, a favorite old version of MahJongg, and it worked perfectly in all of it's VGA glory, and I won. -Joe