VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tom 2012

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi all,

Is there a way to make the mouse wheel work with games like Duke Nukem and Blood in dosbox?

I know these games don't support the wheel. If it could be mapped to a virtual key press (keys for next & previous weapon) it might work or not?

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't think it's currently possible. SDL does have an event that could probably be associated through DOSBox's key mapper; but seems like it might be tricky to translate a motion type event to a key-press / key-release type event.

Reply 2 of 5, by tom 2012

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've created a small external application that is able to capture scroll events and map them to a key (scroll up = Q and scroll down = E).

Then I've configured blood to map the Q key to next weapon and E key to previous weapon. Now I'm able to use the mouse wheel to change weapons 😁 It doesn't work as fast as modern games but it's a major improvement 😀

If anyone is interested I've made a small webpage where it can be downloaded (some help may be added later): http://www.dfzone.be/dosbox

Reply 5 of 5, by ssybesma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Rob,

I've been meaning to try DOSBox-X as I noticed it has more features. Anyway, I resolved the unhandled exception in this app. What I did was I found an updated MouseKeyboardActivityMonitor DLL file by downloading the *.nupkg file from here (click Download Package on the right side):

https://www.nuget.org/packages/MouseKeyboardActivityMonitor

The *.nupkg file opens up with 7-zip. Go to the \lib\net20\ folder, copy the *.DLL file and overwrite the existing one.

The app starts with no error and allows you to program keys to the up and down for the scroll wheel.

Now I just have to find a game that it works in because I was expecting the scroll wheel to replace the function of the trackball when moving up and down or forward and back, but didn't work out that way.

That's how I would like it to work.

Steve