VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by zzsssmooth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I'm using Boxer on Snow Leopard and I've noticed that the CPU usage runs at about 40 - 50%. When I run Windows 3.11 it jumps up to about 90%. I've tried using WQGHLT.386 for Windows, but Boxer freezes as soon as Windows loads up. Based on some searching around it seems like the CPU usage is a common problem. People have said that WQGHLT works. Does anyone know of any fixes for this? Thanks!

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Boxer is not a pure frontend because it changes code of Dosbox. Please contact the boxer author or use pure dosbox.
And yes, dosbox uses more cpu when idle on OS X than on Windows but normally that's about 10-20% on the prompt.
With Windows 3.11 loaded it is normal touse that much cpu, though...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is a change in SVN source for the HLT instruction that is particularly useful with max cycles. HLT was causing inconsistencies in autocycle guessing, not causing freezes per se, but within Windows the issue may present differently. Even if the change does help with the freezes, dunno how much host CPU usage will be reduced by adding an HLT to the Windows wait state.