VOGONS

Common searches

Window size

Topic actions

First post, by alleycat4164

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got Silent Service 2 working using dosbox but it opens in the tiny window where I do the mount commands and I cannot get the window to get bigger...how the heck do I do that?

Thanks for your help!

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alt+Enter

or fullscreen=true in dosbox.conf

The README included with DOSBox or the "intro" command in DOSBox are nice things to use.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check out this video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0PWVnFmlR8&li … eature=view_all

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 14, by PearlChoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd actually like to do the opposite:
is it possible to make the game (in fullscreen mode) smaller (with black borders on all sides)? Those low res games look really ugly on my big monitor, but I don't like windowed mode for playing games; I want no distractions 😀

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PearlChoco wrote:

I'd actually like to do the opposite:
is it possible to make the game (in fullscreen mode) smaller (with black borders on all sides)? Those low res games look really ugly on my big monitor, but I don't like windowed mode for playing games; I want no distractions 😀

Thanks!

Yes, but you got to know your way around the graphics driver. It's a scaling option in the AMD, Nvidia and Intel graphics driver. Basically you tell the driver to render lower resolutions letter boxed (with black bars around).

Hope this helps 😁

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 14, by PearlChoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried messing with the scaling options in the nVidia panel but nothing seems to work.

I tried selecting "no scaling" but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

9DRMJ.jpg

Anything I should change in the conf file?

My conf file:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=1920x1080
windowresolution=original
output=opengl

aspect=true
scaler=normal2x

Reply 8 of 14, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given your current config file, this is expected. Basically, with these settings applied:

fullresolution=1920x1080
output=opengl

What happens is this:
1. DOSBox uses a fullscreen window of 1920x1080 pixels.
2. With OpenGL, scaling is applied to fill the screen, with some kind of aspect correction applied by DOSBox internally (i.e. not the drivers).

I think you would like to try and set output=surface first. That way, DOSBox will not scale as much as with other outputs. Truly, it will scale a bit if aspect=true is applied, and with something like scaler=normal2x it may double the dimensions or so. But it won't try to fill the screen as it does with any output other than surface.
If it's working but there are a few corruptions seen on the bottom of the screen, aspect=false may solve that.

If there are still problems, you may revert back to opengl or some other non-surface output. DOSBox will scale as much as it can in general, but now the NVidia "No scaling" setting can come to effect.
To make it work, though, you really want to do something like:

fullresolution=original

And if it's not working then you may play with a few fixed resolutions. For instance:

fullresolution=1280x960

Reply 10 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great news. Looking at the image, the reason the Nvidia scaling didn't work is because it's configured to let the display do the scaling. But you want to he GPU doing the scaling. Just change the scaling from display to GPI and it should work.

So if you now set the full screen resolution of the game to 1024 x 768 you should have a letter boxed screen.

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 14, by Alexandra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NY00123 wrote:
What happens is this: 1. DOSBox uses a fullscreen window of 1920x1080 pixels. 2. With OpenGL, scaling is applied to fill the scr […]
Show full quote

What happens is this:
1. DOSBox uses a fullscreen window of 1920x1080 pixels.
2. With OpenGL, scaling is applied to fill the screen, with some kind of aspect correction applied by DOSBox internally (i.e. not the drivers).

I think you would like to try and set output=surface first. That way, DOSBox will not scale as much as with other outputs. ... But it won't try to fill the screen as it does with any output other than surface.

Thanks for clearing this up. But is this everything-scales-but-Overlay behavior by design? Is it a limitation of OGL/D3D?

I am frequently frustrated by the OGL and D3D renderers scaling images to my monitor's maximum vertical height (1080), which results in ugly artifacts due to different-sized pixels.

This would be more workable if I had a 1200-tall screen, as 1200 is evenly divisible by 200 and 240, two common vertical resolutions in DOS. But I do not, and I find it surprising that DOSBox and several other apps I've run into don't offer finer-grained control over the OGL/D3D scaling factor. I would very much like to have a little letterboxing at the top and bottom (as is possible in Overlay) so that the pixel ratio can remain 1:1 (meaning each original game pixel (320x200), when scaled up, is displayed on the same number of LCD monitor pixels).

Again, it's interesting to learn how Overlay is the exception. But on my system Overlay is otherwise inferior to OGL (which can do Aspect=True without major graphical errors) and D3D (which can do Aspect=True and has the amazing CRT shader, among others).

Reply 13 of 14, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As NY00123 was saying the exception is surface, not overlay.

Alexandra wrote:

I am frequently frustrated by the OGL and D3D renderers scaling images to my monitor's maximum vertical height (1080), which results in ugly artifacts due to different-sized pixels.

does your system not show a difference between "opengl" and "openglnb"?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 14 of 14, by Alexandra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VileRancour wrote:

As NY00123 was saying the exception is surface, not overlay.
does your system not show a difference between "opengl" and "openglnb"?

Apologies, I misspoke when I said Overlay. I intended to say Surface.

It does. Opengl is blurry and openglnb is sharp. They both (almost?) always stretch to the full vertical height of my monitor, though.

By the way, I'm running a Radeon 5850 and believe I have the relevant scaling settings set correctly. It's entirely possible that the drivers are screwing up and scaling anyway. I would be very curious to see if my experience would change on NVidia hardware. I will probably be switching to them for my next graphics cards; in my experience AMD just has too many quirks and problems.