VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by synchro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys just signed up and new to Dosbox
This is probably a easy problem for you

Im trying to make a standalone games of the old frontier and first encounters...I have done this using two seperate dosbox directories one for each game...It works fine but despite the fact i have renamed the folders and the Config file when i run one...it changes the config file in the other game so there both the same ?

This is probably an amature question i know but just cant work around it..

Please can you advise

Reply 1 of 9, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you passing the correct parameter to DosBox when starting for the config file? (DosBox -conf someconffile.conf).
Also...from what I gather you're renaming the folders and .conf file prior to running DosBox? No need...just pass the correct .conf as a parameter.

Reply 2 of 9, by synchro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never used Dosbox before until this morning..
This is all i can remember from the dos days...

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount c c:\FRONTIER
c:\
FRONTIER

It works sure but if i make another dir with the other game one config over writes the other config in the other dir
Its been so long.... Im guessing i need to create another batch file ...God i need to brush back up on dos

Jameson's coming out of Retirement
http://www.eliteforever.co.uk/

Reply 3 of 9, by synchro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems to work in the portable version....By altering the dosbox.conf which i cant seem to see in the installed version ?
each game will work now individually... The autoexec still changes but the config seems to keep them in check

I need to learn a lot more on this....Brilliant App !!

Reply 4 of 9, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
synchro wrote:

It seems to work in the portable version....By altering the dosbox.conf which i cant seem to see in the installed version ?
each game will work now individually... The autoexec still changes but the config seems to keep them in check

I need to learn a lot more on this....Brilliant App !!

You can edit the .conf file in the installed version using the helpfully provided link in your start menu (I'm assuming you're under Windows) BUT you can create your own and for what it seems you want to do...that's the way to go...create a .conf for each game and call it.
Let's just pretend my folder structure looks like this
\games
|-myboringgame1
|-myboringgame2
Each boring game lives in its own folder.
So you could just create myboringgame1.conf and myboringgame2.conf under games and call it using DosBox like

DosBox -conf c:\games\myboringgame1.conf

to execute first boring game
and

DosBox -conf c:\games\myboringgame2.conf

to execute second boring game.

I don't really understand what you're doing...but it's
a) clearly taking turns it doesn't need
and
b) wrong

Reply 5 of 9, by synchro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
I don't really understand what you're doing...but it's a) clearly taking turns it doesn't need and b) wrong […]
Show full quote

I don't really understand what you're doing...but it's
a) clearly taking turns it doesn't need
and
b) wrong

Ok i will explain.....This is my site

I have full permission to use the game images to allow the fans to download the original games on the Download/emulation page..But i wanted to create them in dosbox so people would not have to go through the hassle of setting them up...I thought it would be cool if they could download and ...Click & Play....Just a nostalga thing for the fans

Thanks for the help so far im begining to get the idea 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you gonna make easy click & play installations, then I suggest you put the game folder inside the DOSBox folder.

Like this.
C:\DOSBox
C:\DOSBox\MountedC
C:\DOSBox\MountedC\Frontier

And then have a dosbox.conf file inside C:\DOSBox with the lines

[autoexec] # Lines in this section will be run at startup. MOUNT C MOUNTEDC (note that the mounted directory do not start with a […]
Show full quote

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
MOUNT C MOUNTEDC (note that the mounted directory do not start with a drive letter like C:\, which makes DOSBox look in the DOSBox folder. And do obviously not include this red text inside DOSBox.conf)
C:
CD FRONTIER
FRONTIER

With this you can just zip the DOSBox folder and place it wherever you want, on a Windows system, and it will work and the game will launch as soon DOSBox.exe is started. I also suggest you actually rename the DOSBox folder into something more suitable for the game, like "Frontier". So the game is located in Frontier\MountedC\Frontier.

Oh, and do use MountedC so Frontier isn't located in C, but in C:\Frontier within the DOSBox emulation. Many games do not like to be in C:\.

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

But be careful, if that dosbox folder is in c:/program files you will run into problems on Windows Vista and newer, since by default you don't have write access there (only during installation)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by synchro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Freddo
That is awsome thanks i can see exactly where i was going wrong....I was close but thats nailed it Thanks a lot 😀

@Dominus
Thanks i see where your coming from....I think you guys have sorted this for me....Really appreciate it ...Il let you know how it goes later today 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by synchro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys that worked out brilliantly !!

Im starting to really get into Dosbox now in its own right to play other old games...Its an Awsome tool