VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thefixer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using an older LCD 4:3 standard monitor to stay with the older gaming experience.

When I use the computer's integrated graphics card Dosbox works flawlessly: the fullscreen mode fills my whole 4:3 screen from corner to corner as it should.

After installing a video card (Nvidea GeForce 6600GT 128mb DDR PCI-E) fullscreen mode does that thing with the black bars on top and bottom, not stretching out the 320x200 aspect ratio like it did before I installed the new card.

I've tried a variety of config changes (yes I changed aspect to TRUE) and I can't make it stretch to fullscreen. So I'm wondering if it's the card itself, a hardware issue? I've experienced the bars with other 128mb graphics cards on other computers, yet with a newer ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 256mb card it stretches fullscreen properly.

Is this a hardware issue? Why does fullscreen not work properly with certain graphics cards?

(I'm using a Lenovo 3000 J Series 7393 J110 as the main computer for these tests.)

Reply 1 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check my DOSBox Tutorial (YouTube video). Especially the section about scaler options and resolutions 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 6, by thefixer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I checked your videos but still have the problem with the bars on top and bottom.

I tested my theory on another computer, a Thinkcentre A50p, and had the following results:

1) Installed AGP GeForce FX 5700LE 128MB card without drivers and had the bars.
1) Installed AGP GeForce FX 5700LE 128MB card WITH drivers and had the bars.
3) Removed AGP card and used Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 without drivers and had the bars.
4) Used Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 WITH drivers and finally NO BARS! Proper fullscreen ratio stretched to all 4 corners, and no changes to the config file.

This is what I think is going on: Dosbox may not actually be designed to work with the old 4:3 screens effectively. Another factor may be hardware compatibility.
My pci-e and agp Geforce 128mb cards don't stretch to proper fullscreen, and I've tried all possible config changes (even backwards ones like 480x640 or tiny forced 4x3 which gave a tiny blue rectangle), yet my ati 256mb card works fine, also the integrated cards as I mentioned.

I guess the final result is pull the cards out of the PCs I use for Dosbox, and keep them in the PCs for other uses. It would be nice to know why this is happening.....

Reply 3 of 6, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally, these settings tend to work for me, assuming the desktop resolution is 1024x768:

fullscreen=true
fullresolution=1024x768
output=overlay
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x

You may also try ddraw (on Windows), opengl or openglnb as different values for "output". Note that the aspect correction will *not* apply in textual modes.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, try different outputs as some cards may need it.

But as you've noticed with the integrated intel chip, it's also a driver issue. Most of the times sending people off to use the latest driver AND try different output modes in dosbox brings success

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There should be options in the ATI and nVidia control panels to control how the screen is scaled. See 4:3 Aspect Ratios and 16:9 monitors and Distortion on 16:10 widescreen . Note that the relevant options may only appear if you're using a DVI connection.

Reply 6 of 6, by thefixer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, thanks everyone. This is what's been happening:

It DOES work with fullscreen=1024x768 output=overlay aspect=true
but only if I load an actual game. I didn't want to spend time on this step so I was stuck on that vertically squished C:\ prompt screen.

Without the video cards installed the prompt screen is properly full so I'm still wondering about that.....

Anyway, I did discover something in my tests. If you want the image to look skinnier, use a wider aspect ratio. For example instead of 1280x1024 use 1240x720 (I had to keep the width below 1280) and this forces dosbox to resize and squish the overwide image. I got the idea when seeing how windows settings make everything skinnier when you choose a wider aspect ratio. With more stuff sharing the screen width it has to get skinnier to fit. So wider screen aspect = skinnier images.