VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where can I find a set of drivers that supports 24-bit colors with 1024x768 or higher, and that it works correctly with autolock=false?
Thanks
Jack

Reply 7 of 25, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
georgeqgreg wrote:

Windows 95 runs like crap in dosbox.

Yes, and DOSBox is not designed to.

In W31, for me the file w3117004.zip worked fine.

Klimawandel.

Reply 8 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
georgeqgreg wrote:

Windows 95 runs like crap in dosbox.

DOSBox is designed to run DOS games, not other operating systems or apps. If you can do it and it works out for you, then great, if it doesn't then don't complain because it wasn't designed for whatever you were trying to do and you won't get support for anything that isn't a DOS game that doesn't work. If you need a more complete implementation of DOS, then you should be looking at something like FreeDOS or other similar projects that are out there.

Reply 9 of 25, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I'm looking to do is run old 16-bit Windows games in comfort. Dosbox is definitely meant for games. Is some other VM? Probably not. If you know a VM design expressly for running old Windows games, do feel free to tell me all about it.

EDIT: Ok, I tried the driver suggested by IIGS_User above and the mouse is still a little wonky. Darn.

Reply 10 of 25, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ VMWare Player.

Dosbox is for Dos games, not even Windows 3.x, even though it's possible. Read Dominus' Windows 3.1x Dosbox Guide.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 11 of 25, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

VMWare Player is a bit heavy, and I find it a bit useless for just about anything, except the small fringe of games that work on W9x and ONLY W9x. (Discworld Noir anybody? 🤣 )

I've got Win 3.1 running nice, I just want to take advantage of the autolock, so I can have my mouse cursor go in and out the window... a bit like VMWare in fact!

(Side note: and yet Noir crashes under Vmware at some spots anyway! Thank goodness I have a proper Win 98 PC to play those problem spots on!)

Reply 13 of 25, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I beg your pardon? Sorry, I'm trying to use dosbox so I don't use a VM, and I'm on a dosbox forum for help with dosbox.

I'm not trying to run anything in particular, just trying to make a custom "lite-install" win3.1 to make running 16-bit Windows apps easier on 64-bit Windows. Think the way gog has it, dosbox is all nice configured to run the game when you start it, and exit when it's done. But due to the pointy nature of Windows, I wanted to use a mouse tracking sort of feature, which I don't think gog actually does. (Basically to make playing in a window a little less weird/painful.)

Reply 14 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you want help with dosbox then ask for help and be specific about what your problem is, instead of hijacking a thread. Only your fourth post actually mentions your problem...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
georgeqgreg wrote:

What I'm looking to do is run old 16-bit Windows games in comfort. Dosbox is definitely meant for games. Is some other VM? Probably not. If you know a VM design expressly for running old Windows games, do feel free to tell me all about it.

EDIT: Ok, I tried the driver suggested by IIGS_User above and the mouse is still a little wonky. Darn.

Apparently Wine has some ability to run 16-bit Windows apps in Linux/MacOSX.

DOSBox seems to work well for Win3.1, but gaming-level emulation of 16-bit Win9x apps on modern Windows is definitely a hole right now.

Reply 16 of 25, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wine was actually on my mind at one point. Apparently it can only run 16-bit programs under 32-bit Linux though. Sound familiar?

If only someone would pair Wine with dosbox's CPU core and port it to Windows, that might be a good solution!

EDIT: And I think I should point out that Wine would very easily solve any legal issues with Windows 3.1.

Reply 17 of 25, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
georgeqgreg wrote:

If only someone would pair Wine with dosbox's CPU core and port it to Windows, that might be a good solution!

Re: Java Port

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 18 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:
georgeqgreg wrote:

Re: Java Port

Eww, Java.