VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pheesh eds

User metadata

Just wondering if you support "flat real mode"? I'm sure you know what this is! I'm sorry if this has been answered 10 thousand (million) times already, it's just that flat real mode was really cool and now it's pretty much impossible to use under XP. Boot up with a floppy... can't access the 32-bit fat!

In case any nature boys are reading this flat real mode is not a halucinagen, but a way in which old DOS games tricked the processor into "forgetting" it wasn't supposed to still be using 32-bit register pointers and was quite a funny thing really. While EMM and XMS programs religeously copied chunks of memory from extended memory to conventional games using flat real simply accessed it directly. That's got to have trippled the speed of those games. Unfortunately when evil windows came along it decided entering flat real mode was a risk to the operating system (can't imagine why???lol)
app: Now I will take advantage of a flaw in the processor on this PC.
win: Hey whatever, wouldn't be the first time.
app: Now I will read and freely edit any part of extended memory I want, allocated or not. Hmm... windows you don't need this memory anymore do you???
microsoft: ouch, it's time for another windows service pack again
service pack description:
"This update removes a problem which allowed dos games to run over-effectively in the Windows OS"

microsoft: Oooh, look at all the angry game developers. Hey lets make something to make there lives even more miserable. We'll call it DPMI. The great thing will be that any programs written using DPMI won't run in a conventional older DOS OS anyway so pretty soon they'll give up and use WinMain(...) instead!

personal note: Can't wait till Microsoft removes support for all Windows95 games written by Microsoft, ooops nobody even noticed!