VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lassar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am writing a freebasic application for dosbox.

Which dos extender works the fastest?

Freebasic cannot use WATCOM-like extenders.

Conquer the FCC GROL, & Amatuer Radio test

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't understand. What do you mean by "fastest" ? If you are writing the application for DOSBox, why would performance be an issue? Why are you writing the application for DOSBox at all when you can write Freebasic applications for Windows?

Are you saying CWSDPMI won't work? The alternative would be HDPMI from http://www.japheth.de/HX.html#hxdl .

Reply 2 of 6, by Lassar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CWSDPMI does work pretty fast.

Dos/4g , and dos32a don't work with freebasic exe's.

They use os2 exe's.

So far CWSDPMI seems the best. HX dos extender is slower, but is more stable in dosbox.

You ask me why I am programming for DosBox?

The answer is mobile devices.

The mobile devices have dosbox ports to run dos applications on.

It's way better to program, just for dosbox, instead of all those different mobile devices.

Conquer the FCC GROL, & Amatuer Radio test

Reply 3 of 6, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While I don't know what are your intentions, I really think it's better to refrain from what you're planning, for the following reasons:

- The DOSBox emulator is made to run older DOS games. While it can technically be used to run applications not considered to be games, this is not a part of the motivation behind it as much as DOS games from the 80s and 90s are. There are also cases where such applications will malfunction in some way, even if you're not aware of this.
- Running an application inside an emulator, rather than one suited for a specific mobile device, has a bad impact on battery usage! If you're letting other people use such applications, is this what you want? Even if not, that should be considered. Emulators are relatively heavy applications and can have a great (negative) impact on battery usage.

To summarize, native is the better way, nevertheless. For media applications (games included), if you're interested in no more than iOS and Android support then I believe that SDL 2.0 (a new version of a cross-platform toolkit) is soon to be released, with added support for these platforms. For other platforms you may also find possibly-unofficial ports of SDL, although usually based on the 1.2 branch at the moment.
Other cross-platform toolkits may help as well, although I don't recall any specific one at the moment.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lassar wrote:
You ask me why I am programming for DosBox? […]
Show full quote

You ask me why I am programming for DosBox?

The answer is mobile devices.

The mobile devices have dosbox ports to run dos applications on.

It's way better to program, just for dosbox, instead of all those different mobile devices.

There is surely a better way of running FreeBasic applications on a mobile device than coding for DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 6, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lassar wrote:

I'd say the big players are either Android based or iOs based...and at least Android can use NDK...iOs programming is some form of C. This could probably lead to:
-Develop your application properly modularized in C (or C++...maybe Objective-C).
-Hook it to whatever platform.
-Do some form of interface (natively).
-You're done.

I'd say your solution is poorly thought out, lazy and plain wrong.