VOGONS

Common searches

How do I swap floppies in DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 28, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
The #1 goal is compatibility with DOS games. This has been stated thousands of times in these forums. Extra features take away d […]
Show full quote
videogamer555 wrote:

There's probably many more such features like this that absolutely should be added, but for some reason (one which I can't imagine) the official developers of DosBox have chosen not to add these fatures. All I can do is beg, and hope that they eventually decide to add them.

The #1 goal is compatibility with DOS games. This has been stated thousands of times in these forums. Extra features take away development time from this and hinder future development of DOSBox.

With that said the next DOSBox release will have some new features.

I find it refreshing to have a program that has continued to maintain it's primary purpose instead of adding a metric assload of bells and whistles to get people to buy it.....

There are only a few extra features I'm thinking of that DosBox would actually most strongly benefit from. The Daum version of DosBox does seem to have some bugs in it (probably because it tries to cram in TOO MANY features). Some very very very ancient DOS games that use a mouse don't know what to do with a PS2 mouse because PS2 mice weren't invented yet, and instead require a serial mouse. Why DosBox has not yet included support for a serial mouse, confuses me completely. Isn't DosBox supposed to work with ALL dos games?

Also some very ancient DOS games had multiple disks (like back in the days of the original IBM PC, before hard-drives were available), and would require swapping out disks MID GAME, in order to load resources from multiple disks. Some of these games won't work if you just dump the contents of all the disks into one folder, because they depend on disk numbers. Often times this was included in the label section of the disk's header section (like where it says FAT12, etc), and therefore is NOT part of the file system (it's not represented by any copyable file), and therefore you MUST swap disk images to play these games. As of yet, DosBox does not incorporate a hotkey for swapping floppy disk images. As such, these games will NOT work on DosBox (or at least the official branch of it, not sure about some of the modded versions).

Both of the above mentioned features (swapping disk images, and serial mouse emulation) are ESSENTIAL for playing many of the very very very old DOS games. These features really should be part of the main branch of DosBox, so you don't need to have multiple copies of DosBox (each a modded version) in order to play various games (particularly the very oldest of the old DOS games). Are these 2 features really too much for me to ask of the developers? Would it really be that hard for them to include these features in the main version of DosBox?

Reply 22 of 28, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Swapping disk images IS supported via hotkey as I've written in the very FIRST answer in this thread. It's NOT in the last official version but it IS in the offical SVN.
Is it too much to ask to actually READ what has been written?

Which games don't run with Dosbox' mouse emulation?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 23 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would it really be that hard for them to include these features in the main version of DosBox?

It would indeed be rather surprising if the floppy-image swapping is not included in the next official version of DOSBox, especially since it is in the official SVN (rather than some extraneous patch that happened to be included in the SVN Daum version). As for when the next official version of DOSBox will be released, who can say?

So far Tass Times in Tonetown is the only evidence that such a peculiarity ever existed, as per M. 555's previous thread.

Reply 24 of 28, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, I'm not far from closing this thread, since obnoxious entitlement, not reading whatever is posted, not answering seems to be a big thing for vg555 (or I'm on the ignore setting).

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 25 of 28, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
It would indeed be rather surprising if the floppy-image swapping is not included in the next official version of DOSBox, especi […]
Show full quote

Would it really be that hard for them to include these features in the main version of DosBox?

It would indeed be rather surprising if the floppy-image swapping is not included in the next official version of DOSBox, especially since it is in the official SVN (rather than some extraneous patch that happened to be included in the SVN Daum version). As for when the next official version of DOSBox will be released, who can say?

So far Tass Times in Tonetown is the only evidence that such a peculiarity ever existed, as per M. 555's previous thread.

Should I really have to switch to an unofficial release (the Daum version) in order to access all the features of a game (such as playing it with a mouse)? Even if it is only one game, should it be ignored? Tass Times in Tonetown can work with a keyboard, but if you want to play it with a mouse, it REQUIRES a serial mouse. For an emulator (like DosBox) which proclaims to exist for the sole purpose of emulating DOS games, should DosBox really prevent you from using a serial mouse, even if it does only impact one game (which forces its users to switch to an unofficial version of DosBox like the Daum version)? I think the obvious answer is that no, the official standard release (or any official SVN releases) of DosBox should NOT have a negative impact on any feature of any game. In fact, I would think that this would be a fairly trivial thing to add to the next version of DosBox, and strongly hope that it is in fact added to the next version of DosBox.

Reply 26 of 28, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Yeah, I'm not far from closing this thread, since obnoxious entitlement, not reading whatever is posted, not answering seems to be a big thing for vg555 (or I'm on the ignore setting).

I'm not ignoring anything. However it appears that the developers of DosBox are in fact ignoring the serial mouse issue. I have yet to hear even a rumor that the developers are considering adding serial mouse support. Why do they keep ignoring this majorly important feature?

Reply 27 of 28, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thread locked due to obnoxious entitlement...
I think you will need to use a different Dosbox version to play this ONE game that is missing this MAJOR feature (that only ONE game needs)...