VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by notepass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys,
I can't change to 256 Colors in Windows 95...
I couldn't find any answer till now via Google and co. I already activated an Graphics-Card in the DosBox.conf thats captable of 256 Colors (and internal in W95)

Is there any way to do this or is it impossible to change to 256 Colors in W95 in DosBox?

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1st DOSBox does not support running windows 9x
2nd install the graphics drivers for the emulated card in Windows 95

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by notepass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jup, that worked...

But another problem of mine is, that i try to boot W95 on an device with just these Graphic Cards aviable:
hercules,cga,tandy,pcjr,vga

I don't think any of these are captuareable of 256 Colors, am I right?

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kerr Avon wrote:

Sorry, I can't help, but I have to ask, when did (and how) it become possible to run Windows 95 under DOSBox? I thought DOSBox didn't emulate something(s) that Windows needed to boot?

It is in fact even possible to get Windows 98 running, and with Voodoo emulation there's even Direct3D. There are many, many threads on the subject already. But, as noted above, this is not officially supported and probably never will be.

The major limitation is that Windows must be booted from a hard drive image (2 GB or smaller) and that CD-ROM support is only available if you use Daemon Tools within Win9x to mount an ISO stored on the hard drive image. Considerable progress is being made on this front (principally in the DOSBox-X branch).

Reply 5 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Truth5678's SVN Daum forks has working IDE CD-ROM emulation. The caveat is that you have to mount the image before booting and assign it to an IDE channel. Mounting host CD-ROM drives is still not supported unfortunately.

apsosig.png
long live PCem