VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently purchased a 16:10 monitor, and am experimenting with either stretching or 'pillarboxing' old DOS games in DOSBox. To attempt stretching, I have fullresolution=desktop (1920x1200), output=overlay, aspect=false and tried different scalers. I noticed low resolutions (SQ1-5, Dune 2 etc.) stretch to full width as expected, but svga resolutions (SQ6, Privateer 2 etc.) do not and remain 4:3 pillar boxed... is this simply not possible or am I overlooking a setting? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T80o3Rf3MhU&li … E6CB109&index=7

This video and the next one might help...

But you can also scale through the video card.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The best pillarboxing for 320x200 graphics is to have fullresolution=1600x1200, use output=direct3d (you need Yhkwong's SVN build), aspect=false and scalers=none.

The best stretching for 320x200 graphics is to have fullresolution=1920x1200, use output=openglnb, aspect=false and scalers=none.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 7, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, thanks all. I've read through the posts and watched Mau1wurf's videos. Basically, I've got the pillar boxing covered now, but what if I wanted to run, say, Space Quest 6 stretched (non-aspect scaled) to fit the whole screen? I can achieve this by outputting a 4:3 resolution via DOSBox (1600x1200 on my 1920x1200 screen) and let either the video card or the monitor do the stretching, but both result in slightly softer edges. I still have not figured out how to let DOSBox do the scaling internally like it does with low resolutions like 320x200 output at 1920x1200. Or is this where I need output=direct3d and a patched DOSBox build?

Reply 5 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sndwv wrote:

but what if I wanted to run, say, Space Quest 6 stretched (non-aspect scaled) to fit the whole screen?

Remember that SQ6 is a VESA game (640x480). It does not even ship with a VGA driver. Aspect correction will have no effect.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not just VGA. Aspect correction will force the aspect to 4:3. There are others that do not have 640x480 native resolution, like EGA.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers