VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Terrapin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there DOSbox fans and/or gurus! I've been having trouble for the longest time with keymapper settings. Supposedly, from what I've read, I could be wrong, but when you Delete and Add settings in the DOSbox keymapper and click save, they should be saved for good? This doesn't work for me. My laptop keyboard is a 101/102 keyboard? I think? You know, the smaller laptops with the keyboards that have no keypad... Anyways, every time I open DOSbox, I have to remap quite a few keys and I've tried changing the keyboardlayout= settings to a few different layouts with no success. Moral of story, I was just wondering if there was a way to permanently save keymapper settings after they have been set. I've been trying to mess around with the "config -writeconfig" strings, but that isn't working for me either. It's just a bit frustrating and time-consuming to have to do this every time I start DOSbox, whether directly or drag-and-drop *.exe/*.com. I don't have my device driver info right now, but from what I remember, it's some kind of MCIR 101/102 US keyboard layout. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and many thanks to the developers for the DOSbox application!

I've also read that the DOSbox Launcher can save and automatically load keymapper settings, but the launcher kind of confuses me and I'd rather save settings permanently directly through DOSbox.

Reply 1 of 3, by Terrapin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something I just noticed, it seems the keymapper may be saving the mapped settings, but they're being saved as "unknown key"s.

Basically, my keymapper settings won't save and I'm looking for a possible fix or workaround for this.

If this topic has already been discussed, please link me, if you would be so kind. 😀 Thanks!

Reply 2 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the "mapperfile=" under the sdl section of your conf file point to your map file?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 3, by NetPCDoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New to DOSBox - and I have this same problem, some of my "dead-keys" can be mapped to unrecognized keys in the keymapper -
and they (mostly) work fine in that session of DOSBox - but it saves as > key_[function] "key 0" < in the mapper file...
... so I have to map again on the next session!

I will also mention that the picture in the mapper does NOT match the physical layout of my keyboard!
Mapper picture shows a row of keys starting with the tab and ending with "]", over a row starting with Caps Lock and ending with "\" - both rows to the left of a tall enter-key;
but my keyboard has a short enter-key entirely on this second row, with a slightly longer "\" key at the end of the tab-key row!
(and when I bind key_grave to the appropriate key on my keyboard - appears that using that key leaves the key stuck in the down position?)

In my mind - it would seem that if the mapper depiction were to match my physical key-layout - then these keys would be properly recognized ...
(these keys might still need to be mapped - but they would map to a recognized key!)

(As I have found 3 common physical layouts shown on the MSDN site?)
--- See Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator - View (menu) - Options (choice) : for three Keyboard Layout Types I have referred to ---
--- (would be nice if the keymapper included something like this - if various keyboardlayout settings don't already imply it!) ---
... Sooo ... in DOSBox - how does one change the depiction of the keyboard layout in the Keymapper?
OR - is this a to be hoped for feature of a future version of DOSBox?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As stated above - I'm new to DOSBox - my apologies if I have this in the wrong place...

If this has not yet been resolved - additional information - someone may have to dig for even more!
This problem seems to be caused by improper calls to the MS-Windows keyboard-layout/mapping support routines ...
... somehow DOSBox appears to be getting a few translations -the unknown and/or misplaced keys- supposedly from
a Multimedia Infra Red Remote receiver confused with translations coming from the actual keyboard?
(Windows Vista - FOR CERTAIN and later Windows seems to incorporate these Infra Red Remote drivers into the WIN-standard-drivers package;
apparently whenever the receiver is present - it is presumed that the Infra Red Remote, or maybe an IR Keyboard, will also be in use!)
THERE has got to be a call that will allow you to get the keyboard-key values before the Infra Red drivers alter them!

I currently lack the appropriate tools to dig out just how this is happening?
The articles that I was reading on MSDN on Keyboard Layout/Mapping - if I remember correctly - have the affected keys assigned to virtual labels
such as key_oem(1), key_oem(2) etc. I could relocate said articles and provide proper refereneces - if this would help anyone?