VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the debugger capable of dumping the GUS sample RAM to disk? If not, I'll look into adding that, as it will help a friend figure out how an obscure game is unpacking or otherwise decoding its samples from its internal packed directory of files to a playable form. I'm not sure if it's relevant to the process, but the game also takes 10 to 20 seconds each time it switches songs just to upload the sample data, even when I give it a generous 25000 cycles.

EDIT: This feature idea hasn't been resolved by myself or by my friend, but he did resolve the sample issue. Silly game using delta encoding on unsigned samples.

Reply 1 of 1, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe this is relevant:
http://www.deinmeister.de/gusemu/manual.htm#faq

Q: Starting programs using the GUS takes some time
A: Most programs upload the samples to the GUS using the 3x7h register. In this case every byte requires about 2 - 5 port accesses for uploading it. Every port access causes an exception to be handled and switched back to the DOS Box. Uploading 1 MB of sample data causes several millions of mode switches, each requiring hundreds of clock cycles.
Uploading data via DMA, however, is practically only limited by the speed of the main memory.

Of course this refers to GUSEmu and not to DOSBox, but I think it's quite logical that this would effect DOSBox as well.