VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Barry Bingham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Newbie. Just discovered DosBox 0.58. What a great program! It came with Mandrake 9.2 PowerPack & works well (apart from a minor glitch in that it stops my screensaver coming on after use).

But when I came across 0.6 via Ian Sinclair I got really excited - with tweaking it plays Doom beautifully. BUT it also turns my Mandrake Linux system into an unstable neurotic facsimile of Windows ME at its worst. I had to remove it and return to 0.58.

Mandrake did warn me of the "bad signature" on install of the sinclair 0.6, which leads to this post. Any chance of a stable 0.6 rpm for Mandrake 9x making it onto the download list anytime soon???

Meanwhile I'm getting reacquainted with Wolfenstein3D 😀

Reply 3 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the rpms for mandrake aren't maintained by the dosbox team. So you'd best ask mandrake for a update.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 12, by XulChris

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Barry Bingham wrote:

with tweaking it plays Doom beautifully.

Just curious what tweaking you did to get Doom to run? It runs really slow here and crashes with some video error.

Reply 6 of 12, by Guest

User metadata
XulChris wrote:

Just curious what tweaking you did to get Doom to run?

I changed the cycle in the conf file to 10850 and set the skipframe to 5. I found that significantly lower or higher cycle speeds caused Doom to crash (wallrender..). Setting the frameskip to 5 also improved the sound quality and didn't really make any very noticeable negative difference to gameplay. It semed at least as good as on my old 486 in the mid 90s...

Of course these values vary according to processor. I'm running an Athlon 1.7Mhz system here.

Thanks to other posters. Will try the cooker, Hez and if still problematic, grapple with the tar as Deathcrow suggests. I'm not just new to DosBox - I'm also new to Linux so this is a learning curve all the way...

Reply 9 of 12, by Barry Bingham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Snover wrote:

Didn't know they made 1.7MHz Athlons.

They didn't. They called them 1700+ but really they run at something like 1400.

Snover wrote:

Must be a really damn good architecture to run as well as a 486 which would be running at least 33MHz.

I know the figures don't make sense given what Dosbox is said to emulate. But I don't remember my 486 (A DX2-50..) giving a better result than this. Which might be memory playing tricks and the shit monitor I had in those days.. or the fact that I didn't tell DOS to skip up to 5 frames..??!!??

That said, I've just tried the newest Mandrake cooker of 0.6. Greatly improved sound, BUT I now can't find any cycle/frameskip combo that doesn't sooner or later finish up with Doom crashing on a wall render....

Reply 11 of 12, by Barry Bingham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, Snover, far too subtle. You are either wired this way or not. Not, in my case. Comes of being brain-dead since birth probably. But at least I now understand the error on which the humour rests....