VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rhester72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Both "offical" DOSBox and various patched versions exhibit similar behavior.

I have a number of floppy images (type IMA, extension IMG, not compressed) - some 160KB 5,25" SSSD, others 360KB 3.5" SSDD (specifically, Infocom "booter" images).

Interestingly, if I try to boot them with DOSBox, they boot and work fine. When trying to mount with IMGMOUNT via:

IMGMOUNT a test.ima -t floppy

DOSBox indicates a good mount, but the console reports:

Loaded image has no valid magicnumbers at the end!
Mounted FAT volume is FAT32 with 613554067 clusters

(Oh, I hope not! 😀

I've tried going as far as passing appropriate CHS values to IMGMOUNT with no success.

I'm trying to get this working because ZorkTools (a very old DOS Infocom booter manipulation/conversion app) requires the "floppy drive" to be readable and writable at the sector/physical level.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Rodney

Reply 1 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Install virtual floppy drive.
Mount.
Use this drive in DOSBox.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 6, by rhester72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I'm starting to better understand the nature of the problem. The Infocom booters do not have a filesystem _at all_...it isn't FAT or anything else, it's entirely custom.

I've mounted a raw 160KB Infocom disk image under ImDisk, which Windows of course immediately wants to format (and I declined 😉.

If I MOUNT it under DOSBox as drive A (-t floppy), it again gives the impression of mounting OK, but attempts to run ZorkTools against it results in:

---

Insert Infocom game disk in drive A.

press any key to continue....

undefined error occurred
while reading drive A
track 1 sectors 1 - 8
disk operation aborted.

---

Is there any way to get DOSBox - through native or external means - to see "floppies" without a FAT filesystem and be able to interact with them on a sector basis? (I imagine this is common to many disk protection mechanisms of the era.)

Rodney

Reply 3 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox wants a recognizable filesystem on IMGMOUNTed floppy images when they're mounted. Perhaps if you boot real DOS it won't complain about no filesystem until you try to read the disk with some command.

Reply 4 of 6, by rhester72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

DOSBox wants a recognizable filesystem on IMGMOUNTed floppy images when they're mounted. Perhaps if you boot real DOS it won't complain about no filesystem until you try to read the disk with some command.

I think you're on to something! Using this method (with FreeDOS), I get:

Using partition 0 on drive; skipping 63 sectors
Mounted FAT volume is FAT16 with 64439 clusters

in the console after BOOTing a 2GB FreeDOS image on C and having IMGMOUNTed a 160KB floppy image on A, and

Unable to find the code which sets
the top of memory address for the game.
This disk is probably not an INFOCOM
game. IVD aborting...

from ZorkTools. I consider this a major step forward because I'm getting precisely the same error above when trying this from VirtualBox, which I've been made to understand _should_ work.

I'll keep digging at it - thank you for the tip!

Rodney

Reply 5 of 6, by rhester72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It looks like the root cause of the issue is that the original Infocom booters deliberately malign the first 8 sectors into 4 1024-byte sectors, and use the bootloader to reprogram the FDC to deal with this at load time. I doubt ZorkTools will ever work properly outside of actual hardware. Thanks to all who contributed!

Rodney

Reply 6 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rhester72 wrote:

I doubt ZorkTools will ever work properly outside of actual hardware.

In DOSBox, you are surely correct.

In other emulators... Sure it will work (if not now then at some point), you'll just have to test it under actual PC emulators like PCem or MESS instead of DOSBox. But... as this is the support forum for DOSBox, can't really discuss that more here in this subforum. But try "PC Emulation" here in "Eddie the Shipboard Computer", or MESS's forum elsewhere. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto