VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Question

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a folder with dosbox and a game in it, but i cannot rename it because "some files are already open". I can confirm that i do not have any files open, so im guessing its a left over process from dosbox....

I need to rename it as dosbox is having trouble browsing into a folder called "war inc (1997)". Dosbox wont allow me to change directory into that folder...it just shows up as warinc~1 (19 in the dir list and attempting to cd \warinc~1 (19 definately does not work.

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Then investigate with process explorer.
Only dos foldernames work correctly (8 letters)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Question wrote:

attempting to cd \warinc~1 (19 definately does not work.

In this case it would be cd \warinc~1.(19 .

Have you not tried restarting Windows yet?

Reply 3 of 10, by Question

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I cant find anything in process explorer that is doing it, and windows wont tell me which process is causing it...

restarting windows should work, but i would rather not have to do it everytime i run dosbox...i dont think dosbox is supposed to have a left over process like this in the first place?

Reply 4 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can have Process explorer search for the foldername and the process locking it should come up.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You have to download and install it. It's THE process tool from a company MS bought some years ago.

Reply 8 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And what was it?

Reply 9 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Question wrote:

restarting windows should work, but i would rather not have to do it everytime i run dosbox...

Why worry about something you've only seen happen once?

Reply 10 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are running 32bit windows and have installed a game that uses securom it's possible that the securom explorer add-in is locking those 16bit executables.

Ending explorer.exe, logging out, or rebooting will remove the lock but to solve it permanently requires registry edits and never running securom games again (unless you remove the copy protection).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline