VOGONS

Common searches

sound stuttering

Topic actions

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hello

The sound is always stuttering when I use dosbox. I've tried increasing and decreasing cpu cycles and frameskip, but this does not help. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm running dosbox on Linux.
Thanks.

Reply 2 of 25, by Guest (Different one)

User metadata

Same problem here.

How good must the pc be to be able to handle it? I played Starcon 2 (not really tested it on other games) on a p800 128mb ram, and the sound stutters. I decreased the cpu cycles, and add frameskip. The sound changes, but I never got it too sound correct.

Reply 5 of 25, by Guest

User metadata

I, also, am wondering what to do about this.

My computer is definitely fast enough to run things okay. By raising the sound blocksize up to 4096 and playing with various combinations of frameskip and cycle rates, I can get the sound *almost* perfect, with the occasional stutter every twenty seconds or so. I am wondering what magic button I have to push or setting I have to change to get flawless sound emulation, if possible.

I've noted this problem so far on King's Quest 3 and Aces of the Pacific.

Reply 10 of 25, by Infinity

User metadata

Yeah, I tried fullscreen in linux, but it made absolutely no difference.

This is on a P4 2.4GHz. As I said, CPU power can't be the issue, because Windows hasn't got any problems with it. It's probably some sort of Linux incompatibility with regards to the timers.

While writing this I found a code hack that you can do to dosbox...
Sound is not continious - could be a thread priority problem?

From what I can see, it disables the code that prevents the sound buffer from being refilled by the mixer as long as there are two blocks remaining?

Reply 11 of 25, by voyageur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can testify, removing these 3 lines did some miracles on my linux box 😀 I haven't tried any other solutions since (when it works, don't change anything anymore!)

Voyageur

Reply 12 of 25, by Guest

User metadata

I'm having the same problem with sound stuttering. It happens constantly, regardless of how high or low I set the CPU cycles. The only two games I've tried with DOSBox 0.61 are System Shock and Crusader: No Remorse. I'm running WinXP, and I'm not sure how I would go about recompiling DOSBox with the 3 lines removed, as "voyageur" recommended.

Oh, and I'm running an Athlon XP 2400+ with 768MB of memory and a Radeon 9500 Pro.

Reply 13 of 25, by voyageur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hum, that's strange, everyone who was complaining about sound stuttering was on linux systems (I think). Don't know if it can help for windows version though.

Voyageur

Reply 14 of 25, by Guest

User metadata

I have a fast machine (P4 3.3GHz) and play with all sorts of emus (mame, n64, etc), and barely have sound problems.

With DosBox under WinXP, thought, I hear little cracks and pops from time to time, about every 1-5 seconds. I tried changing the sound buffer, the cpu cycles and nothing could change that.

Reply 17 of 25, by maYO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
farrer wrote:

To fix the stuttering just increase the frameskip. Here I´ve put it equal to 1 and works ok for windows and for linux. 😁

I have those sound stutter problems on Windows XP on my Dell D600 Laptop.
On my Athlon PC it's okay. Tried with both 6.2 and 6.2 CVS build.

Changing of the frameskip didn't do any good.
Also fooled around with a whole lot of parameters like the buffer and prebuffer size. Doubling these 2 values nearly gets rid of the stuttering (it's only occuring every ~10 seconds).

Anyone got some ideas?

DOSBoxGui - multi platform DOSBox frontend

check my weblog (german only)

Reply 19 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Anonymous wrote:

Going fullscreen solved the problem for me, using win2k.

Well, the fullscreen is usually less demanding (in most of cases, it is the other way round in OpenGL!). There is more perfomance left to sound, so it is better.

Mirek