VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Crimsonite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Help! I have Windows 7 Home which does not emulate XP the way 7 Ultimate will after downloading the Microsoft file for that purpose. Therefore I have used DosBox to install my old dos game by copying the cd data to the hard drive and then mounting a c drive with the folder on it. That allowed me to install the game to the same folder, whereas before Windows 7 told me to go fly a kite. The game loads perfectly, but there is one major problem. This game needs the cd in the drive to play. Can anyone explain in plain English how to fix this. How can I get the game that is running in Dosbox to go look for the cd in the cd drive? GOG is not an option - they don't supply this game. The game is Warcraft II and also the expansion disc.

Reply 2 of 7, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
truth5678 wrote:

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT#Mounting_a_CD-Rom_drive

Put CD in "real" CD-ROM drive. Then enter the proper command inside dosbox (see above link for command).

I'm just curious, will Daemon Tools work?

Reply 3 of 7, by Crimsonite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am assuming that the command you are referring to must be entered before you start the game, otherwise it leaves the scene and plays the game? Therefore my question would be, how do you enter commands in the same dosbox for two different drives as this is dos and does not multi-function. This is a serious question because I already tried mounting the drive with dosbox cd mounting commands as drive d so that I could access it in dosbox. It worked perfectly as far as accessing the computer cd drive, but when I then mounted c to play the game it naturally left drive d and of course did not recognize the cd anymore. It would certainly be a lot simpler if I had a way to get a 'no cd start' file for each one of my old DOS games.

Reply 4 of 7, by Crimsonite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just checked the links both of you suggested and they are the same commands as dosbox shows and the same commands that I used. That DOES NOT WORK for a game run in dosbox from the hard drive that has to reference back to the cd/dvd drive for the game to start or even worse if it has to read data from the cd/dvd at points throughout the game. Surely there is a dosbox technician on this forum.

Reply 5 of 7, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assuming you made a folder at C:\DOS\GAMES and the optical drive is lettered D:\
MOUNT C C:\DOS\GAMES -t dir
MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom
D:
Install

This will install the game to C:\DOS\GAMES\WAR2
Then to play it you would do this.
MOUNT C C:\DOS\GAMES -t dir
MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom
C:
cd WAR2
WAR2.EXE

Reply 6 of 7, by Crimsonite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was wondering if there had to be a direct connection to the cd drive by installing it from there. You see at the time I installed the game I had never noticed the cd mounting part of DosBox instructions. So I simply copied the cd to the hard drive, mounted c drive as C:\Warcraft and ran the game. When it wouldn't play without the cd in the drive I started looking and found the D:\ -t cdrom command line. But it would not play the game. So if your commands above actually work, then I am assuming it is because you are mounting d first and installing from the drive itself thereby having a line of connection and reference formed. I will start over and try it your way. Didn't have this problem with Warcraft, because the cd is not needed to play. Thanks.

Reply 7 of 7, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It sounds like the problem was that you didn't have the hard drive (or the directory on it) and the CD drive mounted at the same time, although copying the files over instead of installing the game might have also been a problem. Anyway, did that work?

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions