VOGONS

Common searches

Req: GODS (Bitmap Brothers DOS game) Cheat Codes

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dear All,
Is there any Infinite Lives cheat codes for Bitmap Brother's GODS (DOS version)? I am running it using DoxBox, and I have even tried this tool, with no luck:

DOSShark for DOSbox 0.74

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I seem to recall some people have had success with GameWiz32 (which runs in Windows alongside DOSBox), but if DOSShark doesn't work, I don't know how much more effective that would be. There's also The Infinity Machine, which runs in DOSBox.

Alternatively you could just use a port like the SNES version, which might be more amenable to cheating.

Reply 2 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 3 of 14, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't mind editing a file, make these changes to game.exe:
494 ff 0d -> 0e 0a
498 ea 03 -> 05 04

It will turn you invulnerable once your health reaches zero. However, at that point, you can't collect any more items with immediate effects (so, anything that doesn't go into inventory). At least you can see the entire game, though.

Reply 4 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Reply 5 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
peterferrie wrote:
If you don't mind editing a file, make these changes to game.exe: 494 ff 0d -> 0e 0a 498 ea 03 -> 05 04 […]
Show full quote

If you don't mind editing a file, make these changes to game.exe:
494 ff 0d -> 0e 0a
498 ea 03 -> 05 04

It will turn you invulnerable once your health reaches zero. However, at that point, you can't collect any more items with immediate effects (so, anything that doesn't go into inventory). At least you can see the entire game, though.

Which editor do you recommend to use for this purpose? Can this be done at the DOS level (i.e. when I am at the game's install directory that is)

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 14, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would just use any free hex editor and edit the file within windows first before firing it up in dosbox.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 7 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, thanks for your responses, I manged to edit the values, and the game runs, but there is one issue:

When my vitality depletes completely, the player becomes completely invincible, in a sense that he walks right through items, and can not even pick up any power-ups, or keys, which of course ruins the game. (since I need to pick up keys to end levels and progress)

Is there a value for unlimited lives only?

Thanks, this is fun!

Reply 8 of 14, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can give you the exact values to search for the life bar. You can use cheat engine or other similar tools to search and lock the value. The life bar starts at decimal 24. In Start at Level 1, try to keep the life bar full until you encounter the 1st monster that can shoot fire. Every hit your life bar will decrease by 2, so it goes 24, 22, 20,...... Most cheat engine would only need 3 discrete values to find it. Once the life bar is locked, you can even walk through spike unhurt, which is kind of a spoiler, because some spike should be avoided or disabled through puzzle solving.

I have used the following tools in the past:
- GameBuster (DOS)
- InfinityMachine (DOS)
- GameWizard (DOS)
- Cheat'o Matic (WIN32)
- GameWizard WIN32

Reply 9 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, is there a value for the actual number of lives?

Reply 10 of 14, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You will start with 2 lives, and that is the value to search if you want to lock on number of lives or make it 99 lives. Locking on the life bar is better as you get to keep all the power-ups, but will also get stuck in the game if you happen to fall into the traps that was supposed to be killed.

While most advanced game cheat engines will only need 3 discrete values to search, '0' is a bad value. So with just 2 lives to begin with, the last value '0' can sometimes not very effective. GameBuster (DOS) was the 1st game cheat engine that I used and it had problem with searching value of '0'.

Reply 11 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote:
I can give you the exact values to search for the life bar. You can use cheat engine or other similar tools to search and lock t […]
Show full quote

I can give you the exact values to search for the life bar. You can use cheat engine or other similar tools to search and lock the value. The life bar starts at decimal 24. In Start at Level 1, try to keep the life bar full until you encounter the 1st monster that can shoot fire. Every hit your life bar will decrease by 2, so it goes 24, 22, 20,...... Most cheat engine would only need 3 discrete values to find it. Once the life bar is locked, you can even walk through spike unhurt, which is kind of a spoiler, because some spike should be avoided or disabled through puzzle solving.

I have used the following tools in the past:
- GameBuster (DOS)
- InfinityMachine (DOS)
- GameWizard (DOS)
- Cheat'o Matic (WIN32)
- GameWizard WIN32

Do you have a copy of any of these (if they can be shared that is) that I can use?

Thanks!

Reply 12 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE:
I am using the Infinity Machine (v1.5), it works wonderfully with GODS! This program is so easy to use, and very powerful! Highly recommended!

Reply 14 of 14, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you. I have been using Infinity Machine a while now, and it is great! I can search for the number of lives and change it to 99 for instance!