motherboard: asus
processor: pentium III / 1 GHz
RAM: 256 MB SDRAM
video: intel i810 integrated but using Voodoo5 pci
sound: ac97 integrated but using SBLive
operating system: windows 98 and Slackware 9.1 dual boot
game name: N/A
description of problem:

I have Windows 98 set up for games with the old directx 8.0a and the last official voodoo 5 drivers from 3dfx, and the latest drivers for the sblive (my crappy computer has no agp alot so I'm not getting a new card until I get a new computer.) DOSBox crashes with the default config file with no game (just clicking the executable) with:

DOSBOX executed an invalid instruction in
module <unknown> at 0000:00000017.
Registers:
EAX=02530620 CS=0167 EIP=00000017 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=1002654f SS=016f ESP=0240fa48 EBP=0240fa68
ECX=1002654f DS=016f ESI=02420078 FS=392f
EDX=1002d9f0 ES=016f EDI=10000002 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
f0 0c 8a 00 f0 53 ff 00 f0 00 00 00 c8 28 00 56
Stack dump:
0240fa4c 1002da08 1002654f 10000002 000000b1 0000002f 00000000 02530ab0 0240fa88
10027c7c 02420078 1002654f 00000000 00000000 02420078 02420078

Also compiled and runs fine on Slackware 9.1,
but if I use the default config and just change:

output=opengl

I get:

CONFIG:Loading settings from config file dosbox.conf
ALSA:Client initialised [65:0]
MIDI:Opened device:alsa
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

(Again, no paricular game, just running dosbox)
I have the glide package and dri, gl turned on (the gl screensavers in gnome work properly)

Anyway I love DOSBox and am very thankful for it, and don't mean to complain. I just wanted to know if anyone could help me out with these problems.

Reply 2 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

probably opengl isn't working right on your system.
Does the configfile list opengl as valid option ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 11, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm if it wasn't compiled with opengl it should fall back to surface, but then again i have little faith in dosbox working with voodoo hardware, although the texture size of the voodoo 5 might be larger, still don't think the opengl drivers themselves are very good.

Reply 4 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks for the fast replies. My linux config says surface, overlay, opengl and openglnb are supported. I believe the 98 one is the same.
Anyway I know the opengl support for voodoo5 is probably not that good, so I'm going to try removing the card sometime today or tomorrow to see if it solves the problem. I will probably remove win98 and put xp there, since I need windows for non-gaming purposes, and I very rarely use win98 for games anyway. (dosbox fulfills all my needs here.) However, I could test dosbox on 98 first if you like. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Reply 5 of 11, by falvious

User metadata

i have dosbox 0.61 running on my fedora linux box, and discworld 1 playing with midi but no sound working. when i set sound to emulate sblive in setup.exe in discworld, and then try to run discworld i get an error saying cant find 'english.idx' not sure what this is, something to do with the sblive setting for sound i presume, any help would be great, thanks

Reply 6 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well that index is probably not related.

Anyway dosbox doesn't emulate a sblive:)
dosbox emulates a sbpro. So setting it to a sblive will do your cause no good

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

oooops, i meant a soundblaster 100% not live /my bad
anyway hardware here is

asus a7n mobo
athlon 1800xp
gforce 5200fx
256 pc2100
onboard sound

looks like im not getting sound working except for the midi music 🙁

on another note, i cant locate the dosbox.conf file, was going to test opengl but cant find the conf file to make the changes, are there any plans for a gui similar to the one scumm uses.

many thanks and nice work

Reply 8 of 11, by Mu_227

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry I ended up as 'guest' before. I'm mu_227, my last post started with " Thanks for the fast replies." Here's the deal so far. I removed the voodoo5 card, so now it's the integrated i810. I removed win98 and put xp there. Xp has drivers for it and directx 8.1 built in. This didn't work. (It crashed with gl again.) I updated directx to 9 and got the latest drivers from intel's site. This worked beautifully. I can set scaling to 'none', output to opengl and it looks and runs absolutely perfect, with even less cpu usage than just the plain 'none' scaling I had before with dosbox 0.60. This is a truly amazing accomplishment here, you have my utmost respect. I feel bad to even mention, and it's probably my fault, that gl mode still doesn't work with Slackware. I know it is setup somewhat properly because it works otherwise. I get a bunch of "Illegal write to <addresses>". But it's no big deal, I'm not trying to nag someone here to fix that for me. In other words, thank you for all you've done, and I'll try to fix that myself. Thanks again.

Reply 9 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

Hate to ramble on, but it works with Slackware now. With my first post I was using a default config. But after I changed everything, I put some stuff in the 'autoexec' part of the config, namely:

mount c .
c:
ultima7

When it worked with xp, I hadn't yet added the 'ultima7' part, so I got the c prompt and typed it there and it worked. Then I added it to the config, and got the same error I had in linux. When I got the error in linux, it was already added, and removed, it worked.

What seems to be the problem is adding the executable to the 'autoexec' section of the config. Had nothing to do with gl (though it did with the voodoo5.)

Thought I'd let you know, thanks again.

Reply 11 of 11, by Mu_227

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've noticed I have frameskip at 3 for my cpu usage to fall below 100. I know it's stupid to complain about it. (I'm just trying to play starflight now.) Could I possibly be of any help to the dosbox project? I'd be happy to help where it's needed. I could probably do a little.