VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Darkfalz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally got around to putting 0.61 on my other machine, a Pentium 3 running WindowsME.

DOSBox refused to run, it kept crashing with an SDL Segmentation Fault (Parachute deployed) error.

0.60 worked fine (been running it for months on that box).

A pretty major bug in 0.61 final, wouldn't you say? Is there a workaround?

Reply 1 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it works under win98SE
I would advice you to update your video drivers to support opengl.
As dosbox reallllllly depends on that.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 17, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

OpenGL support in SDl is very sensitive. For example NVidia drivers I had worked flawlessly with SDL.DLL 1.2.5.0, but not with any higher version (and Dosbox 0.61 crashed for me in the same way as for you).
Newer drivers worked ok with newer versions of SDL.

You must have drivers able to work with SDL OpenGL even if you do not use OpenGL. DOSBOX initializes OpenGL regardless (!) of whether it is later used or not (regardless of settings in DOSBOX.CONF)..

Mirek

Reply 3 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have recently downgraded my Detonator from Forceware 53.03 to 44.03 because the latest ones are really bad performers for GF4 cards. I have run DOSBox 0.61 without a hitch with both of them. So it seems, it just a matter of testing several drivers revisions. Don't give up too soon. 😀

Reply 5 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox initialisation routines don't care (and shouldn't care in my opionion.)
SDL simple has to handle opengl.
If it can't than actually sdl is to blame instead of dosbox.

Reply 7 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it's not rediculous 😀
It's reality 😉
Anyway feel free to remove this restriction and recompile yourself.
That's the beauty of opensource.

Maybe in the next version We might do this as well. But 0.61 has the opengl restriction. I personally would never have imagined that there are so many people who have the specs to use dosbox with inferior openGL support.

Reply 8 of 17, by Guest

User metadata

It's terrible to have to update the drivers.. I have a gf2400 but I prefer the old drivers that come with the cd since my mobo can only accept x2 agp, and this card being x4 max makes a terrible lag with the new drivers... and the whole hassale is too much problems, please concider making a slight update to remove the restriction?

Reply 10 of 17, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you can recompile DOSBOX sources, the just go to CONFIG.H, switch off OpenGL completely, recompile and use. 😀
The problem is just that OpenGL enabled version (which is default) needs always working OpenGL (and you cannot avoid it with compiled binary).

Mirek

Reply 13 of 17, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try to persuade the guy who makes CVS builds (see the thread in "Dosbox Development") to make also builds with OpenGL switched off. Or developers to publish binary without OpenGL either here or on DOSBOX site.
Mailing binaries individually is not a good idea.

Mirek

Reply 14 of 17, by HarvestMoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

0.61 works perfectly in W98 for me, too...

I ran it with the latest Detonator W9x drivers, and it worked fine. Currently, however, I'm using it with the older line (45.something, I believe) because the 5?.?? line was horrible, bugged, slow and caused constant crashes. Anyway, DB worked well with both versions.

One thing, though: opengl/openglnb settings do not work at all (DB shuts down after its main window opens), but I'm happily using "surface", and I probably wouldn't use OpenGL if it worked, anyway... all emulators that support it and that I tried it in gave me weird graphics. 😀

Reply 16 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Will this help?

http://www.altsoftware.com/products/opengl-directx.html

I think it emulates OpenGL on top of DirectX 6.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions