VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox tearing & renderer idle

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by De-M-oN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use your shader edit with scaling 1.0 so that it doesnt scale via point and I use the 2xSai scaler of the ykhwong dosbox and at least with that it is even much faster like this instead of that idling behaviour 😖

Reply 21 of 28, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

D3D has the lowest overhead of all outputs, besides the entire dosbox renderer engine is still idling, only D3D is doing the refresh...this way the pixels are only transferred from the emulated vga when they change (and not 70 times/s), the current D3D graphics cards can easily handle full 70fps 😀

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 22 of 28, by De-M-oN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But this way the video encoder gets frames by the graphic card. Otherwise it wouldnt everytime when the renderer idles. And this already happens when you stop moving the mouse on a static background or loading screens etc. Not very nice if you want to capture video.

But I see what you mean. So the game still runs for real with 50 to 70fps swapping. and still gets to 25fps if I put a shitload of holes into the wall with my pitchfork while standing directly before it.

but thats ok. I can test real performance then without the forceupdate and if its ok for me I can switch it on to be able to record it flawlessly.

So big thanks for your fix.

Reply 24 of 28, by De-M-oN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BTW, the aspect ratio of Blood is wrong.

I know. It should be 4:3. But the stretching doesnt disturb me that much on my 16:10 monitor.
_

a .com file? Do I run it into dosbox? But if so which vga device of dosbox before the com file? vesa_nolfb?

Reply 25 of 28, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

vesa_nolfb should be fine. If not, try svga_s3. Also stay with the direct3d output.

Copy nolfblim.com to the game folder.

Config:

nolfblim.com
BLOOD.EXE

or (Cryptic Passage)

nolfblim.com
CRYPTIC.EXE

If you use BMOUSE:

nolfblim.com
BMOUSE.EXE launch BLOOD.EXE

or

nolfblim.com
BMOUSE.EXE launch CRYPTIC.EXE

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 26 of 28, by De-M-oN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

was still teared. maybe it needed vsync enabled?

but one thing is interesting now:

svga_s3 is without tearing even without that .com file.

But it is 20fps slower 🙁

edit: With vsync enabled it isnt tearing with vesa_nolfb and .com file now. But the fps is even lower here. Just 30fps. Thats way too low.

Reply 27 of 28, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmmm, the overlay output gives me ~35fps. Others like direct3d or opengl are faster, ~70fps.

A similiar problem:
Build Engine games flickers in 1024x768

It looks I didn't check the overlay back then. 😵

This game needs a modern version like Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition. Sadly, it is so far away. 😢

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111