VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Magmarock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there does anyone know the easiest way to get MT-32 Munt to run on both Linux and with GOG games with ease.

Should I even use Munt, just an SVN such as Dosbox-patched.

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Install munt driver with qt. That should work with everything that has midi (dosbox, scummvm etc).
But I don't know the details.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't say how it is on Linux, but on Windows you launch the QT app and go to "Options" > "ROM Configuration" to set the path of the ROMs. It also includes an installer for the driver in the driver folder. For DOSBox you need to set your MIDI device to the emulator.

Outside of that, it is probably easier to replace the GOG DOSBox with a Munt enabled SVN build. You will have to drop the ROMs in the DOSBox folder and add the Munt specific entries to the conf file.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Depending on the packaging mechanism it might be easier to just let it install munt-qt instead of compiling dosbox svn + munt integration

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 10, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently installed Linux Mint on a Atom machine I have and installed DOSBox + Munt following this guide:

http://www.marshalltradecorp.com/coDe/old-gam … and-dosbox.html

other than using a different command to run the app, I use mt32emu-qt, everything worked just fine 😀

rAtcnSkl.png

Reply 5 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Set

aspect=true

in the DOSBox config file because Space Quest III isn't a 16:10 widescreen game 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 10, by Magmarock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Depending on the packaging mechanism it might be easier to just let it install munt-qt instead of compiling dosbox svn + munt integration

Sorry for the late reply, what is munt-qt?

Reply 7 of 10, by Magmarock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
b_rros wrote:
I recently installed Linux Mint on a Atom machine I have and installed DOSBox + Munt following this guide: […]
Show full quote

I recently installed Linux Mint on a Atom machine I have and installed DOSBox + Munt following this guide:

http://www.marshalltradecorp.com/coDe/old-gam … and-dosbox.html

other than using a different command to run the app, I use mt32emu-qt, everything worked just fine 😀

rAtcnSkl.png

I followed that guid as well, adn it didn't work. 😮

Reply 8 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

mt32emu-qt is a gui for munt based on Qt

Reply 10 of 10, by Asterisk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're using Mint, the Munt package that's in the repo should already include the GUI. Install it with sudo apt-get install munt, then run mt32emu-qt to launch it. Open "ROM Configuration..." from the "Options" menu, and point it to the directory where you've got the ROM images stored. Then all you've got to do is set the "midiconfig" parameter in DOSBox to the ALSA port that Munt is connected to -- this is usually going to be 128:0. If DOSBox successfully connects to the Munt session, you'll see it listed in the "MIDI Input" box in the Munt GUI. If it's not there, check the ALSA port; you can launch the Munt GUI from the command line, and it will output the ALSA port it's using to stdout -- make sure that port is what DOSBox is set for.

I wrote a small script to launch both Munt and Timidity++ (for GM emulation), determine both synths' ALSA ports, and assign them to enivironment variables within the emulated DOS session. That enables me to launch each game with a batch file that sets the midiconfig parameter to the appropriate synth for that game prior to running it. If you're interested in it, the script is:

#!/bin/bash
timidity -iA &
mt32emu-qt &
sleep 1s
timidity_port=$(aconnect -ol | grep TiMidity | head -1 | awk '{print $2}')0
munt_port=$(aconnect -ol | grep Munt | head -1 | awk '{print $2}')0
dosbox -c "set timidity=$timidity_port" -c "set munt=$munt_port"
kill %1 %2

The method for finding the ALSA ports is a little clunky, but it works well enough.