VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Scampada

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,
Sorry for probable thread-cloning or something, I'm in kind of hurry and my state of things may be a bit unique after all.

Problem: got dosbox working extremelly slow when scaling; game intro is played like a slideshow.
Additional intel: when dosbox does not scale the frames it's all working fine. But it's very small then. I have 1024x600 resolution and when not scaling it draws e.g. Dungeon Keeper in a very tiny region of screen in its center.

What makes my problem 'maybe a bit unique'. I'm using Tiny Core Linux which is just Linux 3.6.16 kernel with an init image and some additional modules (extensions). The whole bunch weighs about 20 or 30 Mbs.
No GUIs. No X. CLI only. Dosbox runs in 7th tty.
There is a dosbox extension at the TC repository; it works fine in pure CLI environment. But, my console has 1024x600 resolution (all ttys from 1 to 6 use this resolution as native and have no problem), while dosbox doesn't. It draws either a tiny region in the center of screen or a scaled one (tho for some reason not in the center in contrast) but the last one works sooo slow that it's not an option.
scale=normal2x / scale=supereagle both cause little slowening.
scale=normal3x causes MUCH slowening; it appears to be a brutal slideshow.

Maybe I don't know something very basic. Maybe I must install some additional dependencies or say some DirectX for db or something. Please, do not blame me for not reading all along the board and please, if you know what may cause my problem, tell me how to overwhelm this. Thank you in advance.

Reply 1 of 1, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scampada wrote:

What makes my problem 'maybe a bit unique'. I'm using Tiny Core Linux which is just Linux 3.6.16 kernel with an init image and some additional modules (extensions). The whole bunch weighs about 20 or 30 Mbs.
No GUIs. No X. CLI only. Dosbox runs in 7th tty.

Without X, video output is probably framebuffer only, which is very slow. Also, you didn't state on what kind of computer you're trying to run DOSBox. Maybe you could get OpenGL working on your current installation, but trying a different linux distro right away might save a lot of time.