VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dirkoir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, everybody. Is there a way to have left-handed mouse button settings (left and right click switched) when running games in fullscreen mode?

DOSBox respects my system settings for the mouse (left-handed) when windowed. But when I go fullscreen (Alt-Enter) so things are at a reasonable size, it switches to a right-handed mouse. I have only tried two games so far (MOO2 and Populous), but it happens with both, suggesting a solution on the DOSBox level is needed. (I'm on Linux, if this matters). I have searched the web and this forum for hours -- no luck (except maybe someting that looked like a suggestion to make your own build of DOSBox... urgs).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey,

I think this is a limitation of SDL 1.2 with X11. It can also be reproduced with a non-fullscreen window if the mouse cursor is locked. I'm afraid DOSBox doesn't have a way to swap the buttons' roles in the mapper at the moment.

I'm suggesting two possible solutions for the issue:
1. A really small modification of the DOSBox sources, swapping the roles of the mouse buttons. This is done by making very few minor edits to the source file sdlmain.cpp. I've attached a patch against the last SVN revision with the changes.
2. There's an unofficial SDL2 patch of mine that you can also try, since SDL2 doesn't seem to capture input the way SDL 1.2 does (one of the latest posts should have the most recent revision of the patch): An adaptation to SDL 2.0 (Alpha-level Android build attached)

Attachments

Reply 2 of 3, by dirkoir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(Been away so long due to major life changes. Anyway...) In the end, I helped myself more simply by adjusting screen resolution for DOSBox, so that the windowed running of MOO2 worked well at a fullscreen-like size without torturing my mouse hand.

File: dosbox-0.74.conf

Changes:

# windowresolution=original
windowresolution=1024x768
# output=surface
output=overlay

It's a workaround, but a good one. Hence the "SOLVED (kind of)" in the new subject line. Thanks for the tips at any rate. 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by smeyersdev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

concerning the mouse button swap I created a patch which will make the mouse button swap configurable. The patch adds a new option ¨lefthand = true|false" for the [sdl] section of dosbox.conf.

Added patch for current trunk and for version 0.74.3.

Attachments