VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rossdorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been using dosbox for years, with MsPacman and PCbert, thank you, works (worked) perfectly.

I had several computer problems with drivers in the last two weeks and had to do a lot of re-installing, none of which has solved all the problems, new ones are coming up. Sometimes mouse and keyboard will not work, sometimes the network connection....

Latest symptom is playing games with dosbox.
They work fine in the small version, but when I go to full screen, the problems start. It takes ages to load, the colours are wrong, and change to the proper ones after a delay. That one is the most obvious malfunction, others are smaller.
(It used to work perfectly, until two weeks ago)

I have become suspicious about graphics card, an NVidia GT 630, which has been working perfectly for two years, butnow many little problems appear that all somehow seem to have to do with the graphics card.

The problem with the coulours... I have of course downloaded new copies of dosbox and the games, but the problem is the same.

My question: Does this kind of malfunctioning of dosbox point to a damaged graphics car?

(All the software for testing cannot find anything...)

Thank You, DOs-BOx is great...

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try changing output= in dosbox.conf. It's possible that the video drivers broke the default output.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by rossdorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Try changing output= in dosbox.conf. It's possible that the video drivers broke the default output.

First of all… Thank You.

All of the offered alternatives solve the colour problem.
All of them change it to another unimportant hick-up: the game is no longer centered on the display, it is now at the left side
But that of course is not a problem, the game works fine like that.
When I tried “surface” once more, the colour problem was back. So thank you for that.

But that is not the real problem. As you seem to know your way around:
What does this tell me (you) about the drivers and the graphics card? I have updated, uninstalled and re-installed drivers for the NVidia GT 630 from NVidia, from Windows and from Intel. The problem remains the same….

Does all of this tell me, that my graphics card itself is the problem?

Reply 4 of 9, by rossdorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

It's probably some kind of video driver problem.

If you want to test your graphics card, go get 3DMark.

Thank you, but I have know for two weeks by now that it is some kind of driver problem.
As I have written, I installed, deleted and re-installed three different sets of drivers and the problem is still the same, so my question is, how can I test my graphics card if it is the problem, because it does not start the drivers properly.And 3dmark will certainly not tell me ....

Reply 5 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rossdorn wrote:

As I have written, I installed, deleted and re-installed three different sets of drivers and the problem is still the same

It is not inconceivable that all three sets of drivers had the same problem, or otherwise that something went wrong during the deletion and re-installation processes.

so my question is, how can I test my graphics card if it is the problem, because it does not start the drivers properly.And 3dmark will certainly not tell me ....

If your graphics card is physically defective, then DOSBox is a poor means of testing it.

Reply 6 of 9, by rossdorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

If your graphics card is physically defective, then DOSBox is a poor means of testing it.

Dos BOx is a way to describe the problem.

My question is, what is a USEFUL way of testing. 3D Mark certainly is not not, it is a toy for children to compare whose **** is the longest.

I am looking for something that actually DOES test the card. But as it seems, I am looking at the wrong place.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rossdorn wrote:

3D Mark certainly is not not, it is a toy for children to compare whose **** is the longest.

It is a convenient and reliable way to stress your hardware in a known, consistent fashion and thus identify any particular point of failure.

By all means, if you come up with a much better idea, please come back here and tell us about it.

Reply 8 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Not to mention that your whole system may be broken judging from your initial post.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 9, by rossdorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Not to mention that your whole system may be broken judging from your initial post.

Right now it is working perfectly, except when I use dos box... and everything, instead of being centered is moved to the left as far as possible. The one useful help came from dos freak, it was his advice to change "output". This solved the colour problem and replaced it with a screen-move problem. So I wanted to know, if any this has occurred before.
All the problem are connected to the graphics card, but as it seems nothing exists that will actually test if it really functions..

So, thank you and good bye, dos box itself is great.....