VOGONS

Common searches

Disk space?

Topic actions

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Okay, something odd is happening. I have 23.6GB free on C:\ but when I try to install the Riddle of Master Lu (at 650MB), it says there's just 105MB free on C:\

Bizarre. It's probably because I'm doing a very basic error, but could anyone please help out?

Reply 1 of 7, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dosbox report 105 free megs per default.
This is done for compatibility with very old games.
There's a way of making it report more free space on your mounted drives.
I Don't remember it right now, look in the README.

Iampiti

Reply 2 of 7, by Markus

User metadata

It's not bizarre, it's the default size of an emulated drive, it has nothing to do with the size of your actual disk.
You should have read the readme file that came with dosbox.
MOUNT "Emulated Drive letter" "Real Drive or Directory"
[-t type] [-aspi] [-ioctl] [-usecd number] [-size drivesize]
[-label drivelabel]
4. To mount a drive with 870 mb free diskspace (rarely needed! experts only):
mount c d:\ -size 4025,127,16513,1700

I don't know, what the parameters to size do mean, but 870 MB should do for you.

Reply 4 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stupid question: can the DOS OS clone report the real size of the drive while calls to determine drive size report 105 MB? That may remove some of the confusion - the only place people would still see 105 MB reported would be in install programs... Or would you rather avoid this as DOS didn't do this?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 7, by Markus

User metadata

I don't get your question, what do you mean?

MSDOS used a 16-bit FAT, with a maximum of 64 sectors per cluster and a cluster size of 32k, thus limiting disk size to ~2 GB.
MSDOS apps are used to that and will behave strange, when they stumble upon a disk, that's bigger than 2 GB (Windows 95 did so with his FAT32, which gave problems installing old apps.)

Reply 6 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, I know this.

What I mean:
Can Qbix and Harekiet hack their DOS-clone OS that's built into DOSBox to display the "true" disk size and amount of free space when using DIR and other commands - but when running a game/application, report back 105 MB? It would be cheating, but it would eliminate newbie confusion such as this. As I said, it could cause some problems, and I'm not sure that it would be any clearer.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

technically yes.

But I think I'll increase the default size of the harddisk and make a new mount option in which you can simply specify the size you want in mb's

or maybe a new type
something like:

mount c ./ -t bigdisk
mount c ./ -simplesize 900

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!