VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BamBam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using the surface output and I tried changing the HWScale setting but nothing happens then and I have to use Overlay or one of the other methods to get HWScale support. I'd rather not use Overlay or Glide methods so is there any other way to do it?

To be honest I only want to change the window size. I'd rather not use full screen mode as it can be rather difficult to use as I'm running a dual monitor system and the windows are VERY tiny as I'm running both of my 21" monitors at 1600 x 1200.

Specs are as follows

Windows XP Pro latest updates and patches
Pentium 4 2.4GHz
1GB of 333 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti4200
Soundblaster Audigy 2

so ummm anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help and apologies if I have asked any questions that have already been answered I tried to do some searching on the forums but I got flooded with so many results that the cursory browsing I did do on the results weren't all that helpful from what I could see.

Reply 1 of 2, by Markus

User metadata

HWScale means HardWareScale, which isn't supported by surface.
Dosbox doesn't use Glide at all, it supports hardwarescaling with overlay and opengl.
The only way to scale with surface is by using the scaler-directive in your config-file, but you will only get the image doubled in both directions.

But what's wrong with overlay and opengl?
And what's the problem with fullscreen? Dosbox is able to switch resolutions, so that it doesn't use 1600x1200, but the native resolution of your game.
[/b]

Reply 2 of 2, by BamBam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes and if I have other apps running on the other monitor? I don't want to have to shut them down and then shut down the 2nd monitor because I feel like a quick blast of some old games.... and when it changes the resolution on one monitor and goes to full screen it REALLY craps around with the stuff happening on the 2nd monitor with opengl and overlay for some reason DOSBox slows down a *LOT*