VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by The_Ultra-Mind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed a few years ago there was talk about DOSBoxes that do save states, but the only one I can find is Daum, which doesn't work in 64-bit Linux. Is there something 2015 that can do this?

Reply 1 of 7, by Asterisk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Daum runs fine in 64-bit Linux: if you're running the prebuilt binaries from YKHWong's web site, just make sure you've got the 32-bit versions of the needed libraries installed. How you do this will vary from distro to distro -- in Arch, you'd enable the multilib repos, then install the 'lib32' packages for the libraries you need. Alternatively, you can always build from source and generate a native 64-bit binary -- there's a source archive downloadable alongside the binary distribution. A third option, which may be the easiest to configure (but not likely the best in terms of performance) is to run the Windows binary under Wine.

Reply 2 of 7, by The_Ultra-Mind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, w/my distro (Ubuntu) it looks like I'd have to uninstall my 64-bit libraries in favour of the 32-bit ones. I know, it's crazy. I usually don't like to bother trying to build these things from source. I wind up wasting a lot of time trying to setup the build environment, and in the end, give up. Since Daum is so thinly supported, I'm sure that's what would happen.

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It appears that you *can* get the 32bit stuff in parallel... http://askubuntu.com/questions/454253/how-to- … n-ubuntu-64-bit

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 7, by The_Ultra-Mind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Appears, yes, but I don't think it's that simple. You still need the 32-bit libraries, which are usually supplied by the distro. In my case, when I try running it I get:

error while loading shared libraries: libtbb.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

If I try to install the i386 libtbb.so.2, I'm told that it'll have to uninstall the 64-bit one, plus all the apps that rely on it.

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Did you google it? I know it's possible but I can't really spend more time on another OS that I'm not using 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 7, by The_Ultra-Mind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did. The solution to everything after that library name in that error is to install the 32-bit version. The solutions for that specific library are elusive. I don't think there's a clean solution.

Reply 7 of 7, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "proper" way to do this is to have all your native (64-bit, if your OS is 64-bit) libraries in /usr/lib, and then the 32-bit libraries go into /usr/lib32. If you are trying to install a package from a 32-bit version of your distro, it will most likely try to install into /usr/lib, as this is the native path for that 32-bit distro. This will end up overwriting the 64-bit version in there already, which is not what you want.

What you need is a 64-bit aware, 32-bit package. This will install the 32-bit libraries into /usr/lib32 instead, allowing them to coexist on a 64-bit platform without trying to overwrite the 64-bit libraries.

You can either look in your distro's repositories for these 64-bit aware packages (for example on Arch, the 64-bit aware, 32-bit version of the "sdl" package is called "lib32-sdl") or worst case, extract the libraries from the 32-bit package and manually put them into /usr/local/lib32. Then as long as you have included /usr/local/lib32 in your library search path (/etc/ld.so.conf) it should work.