VOGONS

Common searches

An Idea

Topic actions

First post, by Riftgarde

User metadata

Maybe in the future of dosbox allow zip, rar, ace, etc files to be mounted as a cdrom so users can compress their cd rom to hard drive and save space along with not having to deal with the cd anymore?

For now I just use NTFS compression layer.

Reply 1 of 1, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Riftgarde, this idea has been discussed at lenght before in these forums. So far the answer from the developers seems to be (and please don't kill me if I have got this wrong): No - such things are better left to some frontend which can temporarily decompress the archive, run DOSBox, and recompress the archive when DOSBox exits.

And I happen to agree.

An alternative, which I use, is to get the free "Daemon Tools". It contains instructions on how to copy a full CD to an ISO-archive on the hard disk, and then how to use "Daemon Tools" to trick the OS (and DOSBox) into seeing the ISO-archive as a real CD.
--
MiniMax - "The beauty of things lies in their simplicity. That's why the original Unix was beautiful. Let's keep DOSBox beautiful."

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions