VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Magic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm writing a tutorial for how to run old games and the main app I cover is DosBox (As well as VDMS and ScummRV, if you're interested). I'm explaining that we mount a drive to play games...

"DosBox mounts a hard drive - the one where you keep your games and then loads it for the duration of the session (So anything done outside of DosBox won't be affected such as deleting files, I think)."

(The 'I think' is there because I'm not sure, and since I'm not an arrogant smartass, I'm asking here. 😁)
I thought it was all temporary - that was the purpose of mounting a drive. But then I renamed a folder (ren yolk dyolk) and the change also happened when I checked in Windows, so the mounted drive isn't a temporary replica. Why? How does it work exactly? 😖

-Magic
www.samods.com - Mods by modders.

Reply 1 of 5, by The Avatar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because it is only based on your HD. If you type only "mount c c:\" the Dosbox will only know that you want to have the drive c: and the drive will begin on the real c:\ (root).

Of your friend,
The Avatar

Reply 2 of 5, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, the mounted drive it's not a temporary replica.
Everything you modifiy in a mounted drive in dosbox is modified in the "real" drive. Let's say that inside dosbox mounted drives are just known with a different name.
So be careful about what you write in your tutorial 😀

Iampiti

Reply 3 of 5, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

One more thing: DOSBOX caches the information about used directories. When you then make new file/directory outside of DOSBOX, you will not see it in DOSBOX till it is restarted or cache renewed (command RESCAN in DOSBOX).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 5, by Magic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So why does it need to mount a drive at all? Why can't that be done automatically and it works off it as it is? *Scratches head*

I think I understand, so you won't have to resort to the crowbar-and-head method that people use for me. 😜

-Magic
www.samods.com - Mods by modders.

Reply 5 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

magic:
well you can specify any directory as drive
so all actions are confined to that directory (
e.g e:\oldgames )
with mount c e:\oldgames

a second and important point is that some games want to be installed in a directory directly under c:\
(so with the above example the game would actually install to e:\oldgames. but the game thinks it installs to c:\ (both party happy)

Third point : What to mount at linux systems ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!