VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by _Iz-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wish to run an old dos program in dosbox. It required the line "files=150" (minimum, sometimes more) to be set in config.sys. How many files does dosbox currently allow open (v0.61)? Is it possible (or necessary) to set this manually?

Many thanks! 😀

PS: I did a search and read the help files and I can't find this covered anywhere...

Reply 1 of 4, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Go to this thread and post name of this program
Attempt to solve FILES= problems

ps. It isn't possible to set this manually

Last edited by Xerxes on 2004-03-25, 14:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Reply 3 of 4, by _Iz-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's an ancient accounting program, Accpac BPI. We haven't used it in several years.

When we were actually using it I had to set files=150 in config.sys or the program would have a problem under heavy use. We had it running happily on an AMD K6-266 (it was on a 286 before that) with win98se alongside our new program (simply for windows) but I just upgraded the hardware in that machine and installed Windows 2000 Pro on it. No more DOS. I need to keep the bpies program available in case we need to refer to previous years records. I don't want to try and use bpies in a few months (or longer) and discover then that there's a problem. I'd rather be proactive in heading it off now while I'm not under pressure to make it work.

I did load the program in dosbox and do some quick navigation and it seemed to work fine but I didn't get into any heavy reports or anything...

I just thought someone might know what the emulated "files=" setting defaulted to in dosbox...

Reply 4 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it defaults to 100
although some applications have problems detecting it that way.
(that's were the link is for)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!