VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chris_j_c of england

User metadata

does that mean a new version comming soon? btw thank you herekiet and qbix for giving us the dosbox its really great and interesting project. I've followed it through since day one. keep the good work.

Reply 1 of 6, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I'm curious too... I mean, it *is* plausible that DOSBox could run Win3.1 given how much the emulation is progressing. So, is it for real?

YOU GUYS HAVE FAILED TO MAKE A SUFFICIENTLY HOAX-ISH APRIL FOOLS JOKE! 😈

Reply 3 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

IIRC, Win3.0 (win.exe) had a /real command line argument that allowed you to run it in strictly real mode. You lost quite a bit of speed, and access to memory, and and .... but it was there. And I wouldn't be at all suprised if the real-mode emulation was good enough to run Win3.x. Makes me wonder where I put that CD with DOS 1-6 and Windows 2-3.11 .... if I find it, I'll give it a shot & (probably) debunk the joke 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by XulChris

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tested out installing windows 3.1.1 on the cvs version of dosbox and the installation ran to completion. Prior versions of dosbox would not even run the install program so I don't think this is an april fools joke. However, when I tried running win, I get the following error:

MODEM:Can't open listen port:Couldn't bind to local port
Exit to error: PIC:Unhandled command 6B

Maybe this is because I'm trying to run windows 3.11 instead of windows 3.1 or because my modem isn't configured properly, or maybe it just hasn't been tested in linux yet. However since the install used to not work at all, and now it does work, I'm fairly certain this is no april fools joke.

If any of you devs know how to get past this error I'm getting please let me know!

Best Regards,
Chris