Common searches

Farting CD music in DOSBox

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You still haven't answered the imgmount question...

But regardless, for audio track CDs you have to use a bin/cue image. The iso image format only allows data, not audio tracks. For you being able to listen to the audio off the iso is puzzling to me... So definitely use a bin/cue image. AND use imgmount in Dosbox...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 21 of 33, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

For you being able to listen to the audio off the iso is puzzling to me...

I think that is the source of the "farting noise" he meant, maybe MagicISO converted the CD audio stream in a data stream, which, when played back, is making these strange noises. Just like playing a C64 game cassette in a regular stereo cassette player. 😀

However, like Dominus said: Make a cue/bin set of your desired CD, mount that using the imgmount command: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/IMGMOUNT

About mounting a game with compressed audio: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Cuesheet
You need a DOSBox build that supports that feature, though, not every build does.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 22 of 33, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But still, any idea why it lags and makes DOSBox freeze if I try using the actual CD in the drive ? It actually kills the ability to change CD while I'm playing like I do on the real DOS PC...

There's no audio cable that goes in the sound card with SATA DVD drives though, still figuring out how audio CDs work with these...

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 23 of 33, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elia1995 wrote:

But still, any idea why it lags and makes DOSBox freeze if I try using the actual CD in the drive ? It actually kills the ability to change CD while I'm playing like I do on the real DOS PC...

No. Maybe a faulty drive?

Elia1995 wrote:

There's no audio cable that goes in the sound card with SATA DVD drives though, still figuring out how audio CDs work with these...

Under Windows 98 you could enable digital playback in the properties of the drive, but since Windows ME, CD audio is always played back digitally, while before it was played back analogue (using the CD audio cables).

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 24 of 33, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I just tried making it a cue/bin, mounted it with imgmount, yet it still farts and makes such unpleasant noise over the music !!!

0DZvpRy.png

Most important ones:

Reply 25 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

probably not going to change it but it should be "-t iso"

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 26 of 33, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried again from the actual CD drive and now it doesn't crash DOSBox anymore, but the game lags and freezes when the track changes (is not normal: on my "real" DOS PC it doesn't freeze like that when it changes track, it does stutter perhaps a second, but it doesn't freeze for 5 minutes between the tracks)

Most important ones:

Reply 27 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

something is not right with your machine it seems

Reply 28 of 33, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps I could try with an USB CD-ROM drive, but I dunno if CD music would play off external drives…

Most important ones:

Reply 29 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no reason to expect a USB CD-ROM drive to behave any differently. The problem is happening even using imgmount in DOSBox and accordingly is completely independent of your CD-ROM hardware. As Dominus suggested, "something is not right with your machine it seems".

Like I said before, you might want to consider booting Linux on your system – strictly as a test. You can download a "live" distribution that will boot from a USB drive or from a DVD-ROM without affecting your Windows installation or anything else on your hard drive - even something like the Linux Mint installation disc will do. Generally it will autodetect all your hardware and network settings and you can install DOSBox just by typing "sudo apt-get install dosbox" at a command prompt. (The only catch is that you'll have to do that every time you start your computer from the USB drive or DVD-ROM, unless you set up persistent storage, which is probably more trouble than it is worth.)

If CD music sounds normal in Linux, then you can be sure that neither DOSBox nor your CDs are the problem – and you can start looking for what might be wrong with your Windows installation.

Reply 31 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Dominus wrote:

something is not right with your machine it seems

Btw, I try to not use this sentence lightly because when I did it often became clear it is not a problem with the sole user's machine. But I can't think of anything else now...

Reply 33 of 33, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will make a video with the difference with the actual CD and the cue/bin.

Most important ones: