VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Salvia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I use windows 10 64 bit and I am using the latest version of dosbox.

Now, I have a problem and that is the dosbox does not recognize my keyboard as it is.

It is supposed to be recognized as a normal US qwerty keyboard but it doesn't.

Yes, I tried seting it to different keyboard layouts by editing the dosbox.conf and typing commands in the dos window but none of them were right.

What can I do to set dosbox to the US qwerty keyboard so it is the same like when I type in notepad?

Reply 2 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Can you try an SVN build of Dosbox? AND I think there was/is an issue that makes you try different output settings in the config (as strange as that sounds).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 15, by Salvia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Can you try an SVN build of Dosbox? AND I think there was/is an issue that makes you try different output settings in the config (as strange as that sounds).

What's an SVN build? and what do you mean by different output settings in the config?

Reply 4 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

In the config of Dosbox you can write different output settings.
Output=surface
Or overlay or ddraw or opengl.

SVN build: DOSBox SVN Builds

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 15, by Salvia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:
In the config of Dosbox you can write different output settings. Output=surface Or overlay or ddraw or opengl. […]
Show full quote

In the config of Dosbox you can write different output settings.
Output=surface
Or overlay or ddraw or opengl.

SVN build: DOSBox SVN Builds

What should I do to fix this problem?

change Output=surface to Output=opengl?

Reply 6 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

try them all.

Reply 7 of 15, by Salvia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just discovered that the left shift key works, but the right shift key does not.

I guess this solves my problem. Still though, why does the right shift key not work?

Reply 8 of 15, by Salvia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dominus, please give me more information on what you mean by dosbox builds. I don't use any builds I just use the latest version of dosbox from their website.

Am I missing something here and can I make my dosbox better by changing it or modifying it or something?

Reply 9 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Read http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds which was linked by the forum thread I posted.

Reply 10 of 15, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to use compressed audio files for CD audio replacement or want to make screenshots or even videos of your games, you can use my SVN builds (see my signature).

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 11 of 15, by Salvia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterplay80 and Dominus, I can see that you both have made "SVN" builds for Dosbox.

I downloaded the EmuCR-Dosbox-r3993 from the website. I am guessing I have to copy paste its contents on top of the original dosbox 0.74 installation folder to use it.
1) Is that how you use it?

2) user Yesterplay80, I am guessing you made the SVN build called "DOSBOX SVN r3993 3Dfx". Did you modify the "EmuCR-Dosbox-r3993" to add more features like taking screenshots and videos or is it independent from that one?

3) If you don't mind, can you elaborate on the differences between the regular dosbox 0.74, the "EmuCR-Dosbox-r3993" and the "DOSBOX SVN r3993 3Dfx" SVN builds?

4) What does "SVN" stand for?

5) Also, do you think D-Fend reloaded is better than these builds?

Thanks for your time.

Reply 12 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. however you want to use it. You can just put it in a different folder
2.no, he is compiling SVN and is making use of all features of Dosbox, while the built by Emucr is not
3. 4. you could have read the wiki. SVN is a way to store work in progress on the source of Dosbox. 0.74 is a point in the far past of the dosbox sources. Development has not stopped and is stored in SVN. When something gets changed in SVN these get a revision number, for example r3993. EmuCR r3993 is a straight build of that SVN revision (just without the screenshot/video option). Yesterplays built has those options but (I guess) also thd 3dfx patch applied.
5. d-fend reloaded is a frontend for dosbox and can utilize different Dosbox versions.

Reply 13 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SVN is an abbreviation for "Subversion": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Subversion

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 15, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Yesterplays built has those options but (I guess) also thd 3dfx patch applied.

Actually there are 3 builds to choose from at the moment: One plain vanilla build (DOSBOX SVN r3993.7z), one with kekkos 3Dfx patch added to it (DOSBOX SVN r3993 3Dfx.7z) and one with nukeykts NukedOPL patch applied (DOSBOX SVN r3993 NukedOPL.7z).

Those aren't modifications of the EmuCR builds, they are compiled independently following the official wiki explaining how to compile DOSBox using MinGW.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 15 of 15, by Salvia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterplay80, which one of these would you recommend and how should I install them? By copying their contents on top of the already existing Dosbox 0.74 installation?

And do you think D-Fend reloaded is any good?