VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dosboks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my first posting. I am more interested how midi applications can or can not run via dosbox. Not knowing much about dosbox, wanted to ask it here, after reading some midi in questions from 2007 and 2011. So is it true midi in is not supported in dosbox at all? This would mean, you can not play from your midi keyboard and record midi notes into a dos midi sequencer like 'texture' which I would like to test eventually?

Which other methods would you recommend which is similarly elegant or easy to run, lightweight and can run texture, plus with midi input? Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 6, by Roger Wilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I couldnt find any evidence, that it is working, allthough there were plans, to implement it. I read in a thread somewhere on this forum, that there was something going on with MIDI input in version .072.

Midi was connected to the Game Port, just like joysticks, and the gameport is emulated...I think there were
no drivers needed for that. But the protocoll is very different and I think different PINS were used (?) .

I was thinking that you could remap your MIDI controller to keystrokes, if the Texture program has a feature to use
your computer keyboard to play notes. But as the sequencer looks very very advanced, I am sure, hacking in some
single notes will not be enough for you.

Besides, as everything is emulated, I wouldnt expect the MIDI stream coming out to be rock stable, as it is
on a simple DOS machine. But I could be wrong.

The program looks real nice, I am going to give it a try.
I think the best (concerning the MIDI stream) you could do, is to install DOS on an old laptop and run it through that.

Reply 2 of 6, by Roger Wilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

edit: every little cycle affects the stream.
The farer away from the hardware it gets created, the more lags you have.
I have a little device to test the stream and I was quite surprised, how laggy my
dedicated Audio PC with Win7 is. (not hear-, but feelable if you compare it)
We use an Atari ST with Cubase 1 since then.
So I think, a real OS is the best. Even a VM wouldnt be good I assume.

Reply 4 of 6, by Roger Wilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dont know that program. We use the Atari only for clock and some basic editing functions
to record notes on an Alesis hardware sequenzer. Good hardware is always the best, when it
comes to Midi...