VOGONS

Common searches

DPMI removal

Topic actions

First post, by The Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In DOSBox 0.61, DPMI support was disabled (== removed entirely?), on the apparent grounds that DOSBox could do just about everything DPMI did anyway. This is slightly unfortunate for me; I have a DOS program (not a game, but related) which I want to run which, when run under DOSBox, exits immediately with "Load error: no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip" (I've done that, it changed nothing). Why exactly this happens I don't know - maybe it would run perfectly fine under DOSBox without DPMI, but it doesn't know that, so because it doesn't find DPMI it refuses to start.

Anyway. Point is, is there a way to get programs such as this working under current DOSBox (under Linux, FWIW) without explicit DPMI? If not, is there any chance of getting DPMI support back? If not, what can I do to try to get the program working anyway, by hook or by crook?

Reply 1 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

>"Load error: no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip" (I've done that,
> it changed nothing).

??? CWSDPMI works with DOSBOX. And certainly you should not get this message when you have DPMI installed (even if it would not work).
Did you start it? Or just downloaded file and let it lie around?!?

Mirek

Reply 3 of 6, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Probably didn't unzip the cwsdpmi into the the games directory and either way can't really reenable dpmi since it's missing features that'll screw up other games that use those features. Kinda annoying of those djgpp games anyway that they always include the dpmi server so they always fall back to that if there isn't one running.

Reply 4 of 6, by The Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CWSDPMI works with DOSBOX. And certainly you should not get this message when you have DPMI installed (even if it would not work).
Did you start it? Or just downloaded file and let it lie around?!?

I did exactly what I remembered having done when trying to run these games under DOS, instead of getting DPMI services from Win9x: put the file (a ZIP file in this case) in the same directory as the executable, and run the program I wanted to use. It turns out, now that talk of "running" CWSDPMI sends me looking, that the file I had used then was an executable - named cwsdpmi.exe, which I assumed would not work since the program requested csdpmi*b.zip. Now that I actually *try* the same file (as I thought I had done before, but must not have), the program starts - and DOSBox quits right after the splash screen with "Pagefault didn't correct page", but at least it's a step farther.

Apologies for the wildly incorrect question.

Reply 5 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try to set a different CPU core in DOSBOX.CONF (there are three: normal, full, dynamic). Perhaps one of them will work.
You can also try a different version of CWSDPMI.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 6, by The Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried different CPU cores. 'normal" and "full" produced identical results, as previously described: "Pagefault didn't correct page". "dynamic", however, did something different. It still crashed, but this time with a different message (a brief flash of a technical-looking screen whose contents I dont remember, and the line "Aborted" instead of "Pagefault didn't correct page"), and it didn't give my mouse back afterwards - cursor dropped to the back layer, wouldn't move, clicking did nothing. I had to restart X to regain control.

I don't know where to look for different versions of CWSDPMI; I had a hard enough time finding this one, back before I realized I already had it.

So much for *that* idea, I suppose. I'll just have to go back to trying to get my own program for the same purpose to work correctly... thanks anyway for the advice.