VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I would like to play 'Ripper' by Gametek on DosBox running on Linux. It's not listed in the games database, but I recall that someone posted saying they had success with it.

Now, I didn't have much success with it myself, but I didn't try for long because I figured that I'll have severe problems even if I do get it start. What shall I do when it asks me to change CD? The game is spread on a total of 6 (!!) CD's.

Is there a solution for this kind of thing at all?

Reply 2 of 3, by Fisu2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Supermount works here as well. On Gentoo distribution you can save some kerner patching hassle by using "gentoo-dev-sources" - kernel. Personally I find supermount style of using removal media devices the only sane way. It works for digital camera, cdroms, floppy and what-not.

For a windows user: Using supermount is basically the way windows handles cd-drives.

Reply 3 of 3, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I happen to really agree with you. I used to use automount/autofs, but it got to be such a hassle in the idea that the directories did not appear until accessed, therefore it was a pain to use with most GUI programs, and Dos Box wouldn't acknowlege it at all, which made supermount the much easier choice for me. The ability to specify multiple filesystems for supermount to try mounting as the subfs, is a godsend, as without changing anything, I can swap a windows CD for a Unix CD, for a Mac CD, for a pure audio CD and always have something show up in the directory, using CDfs, I can often see damaged CDs as well (It's how I mount audio/Video CDs)