VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by guest

User metadata

Hey all! I recently downloaded DosBOX and was having trouble getting it to run quickly. By accident, I ran across a neat solution. If you are running an NT based version of Windows (Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP), you can make a program run with a higher priority. To do so, you need to edit the command line. I created a .bat file that looked like this:

@echo off
START /HIGH dosbox.exe dosbox.conf %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

The start command runs a program, and the /HIGH tag tells Windows to assign a higher priority to your program. Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what the % things do, but they seem to work great 😉 . I found this tip at http://fox2k.net/2ktweaks/game_tuning_guide.htm. My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, and I was unable to run Dark Forces at a reasonable rate in DosBOX until I tried this. Afterwards, it ran great. I just thought I'd share this tip with everyone. I haven't experimented with it too much, but I'll warn you that it can cause some stability problems (although that's mostly if you change the word HIGH to REALTIME).

Reply 3 of 6, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Correct that in a way. But you need Windows (not specifically but the major reason for DOSBox being the way it is) to use DOSBox. Anyway you run giving DOSBox a Higher Priority to the CPU usage and less to other programs is a good idea.

Typing this in the CMD Window properly will have you start up DOSBox with a Higher Priority in Windows.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 6, by MabusRaeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm maybe I could do something like this in D-Fend...
Start DOSBox with a higher priority then normal... Hmmm....

Author of D-Fend, a DOSBox frontend.

D-Fend homepage.
http://members.home.nl/mabus

Reply 5 of 6, by guest

User metadata

Yeah, I know it should work any place a command to run DosBOX is executed. Actually, the method might be significantly more useful if I knew what was up with the %1 %2 %3 %4 etc. stuff. It's virtually impossible to search for it on-line to see what others have to say about it, since every search engine I've used ignores the % and just searches for every page with a 1 on it. Even if I put it in quotes. If anyone knows what the % sign stuff is all about, I'd appreciate an explanation. 😕 BTW, any attempt to use this will only work if you're using an NT based OS - Win95/98 didn't use prioritization.

Reply 6 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

%1 %2 ... etc represent the command line parameters of the BAT file with the above written commands. In this way the parameters are used inside BAT file.
Nothing to do with XP, this is DOS thing, you can notice it in almost any more complicated BAT file.

Mirek