VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by inquisitive

User metadata

I have just started playing with DOSBox and I got the idea to try to flash my video card using it. I have an ATI Radeon 9200 and tried to use the Flashrom bios flashing utility. I realize that I can do this by creating a DOS boot disk (I am currently running XP Pro) and doing it through DOS but I want to be able to do it from Windows (because I can't do it makes me want to do it if you get the drift).
When I try to run Flashrom from the command prompt it tells me that I need to start in protected mode to run the program. When I try it from DOSBox Flashrom starts, but it is unable to detect my ATI adapter (it is detected when I try from DOS).
Basically I want to know if it is possible to do from DOSBox, or what would I need to do to make it possible from DOSBox? I realize that there is obviously some sort of protection in place to keep me from doing this flash, so how can I get around it? Sorry for the rather long and wierd question; it just got me thinking and would like your thoughts on it as well. Thanks in advance. 😀

Reply 2 of 5, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DOSBOX emulates DOS computer. Including S3 video card. The program you run in DOSBOX has absolutely no idea about your real configuration. It is the point of the emulation - the program sees an old DOS computer (which does not exist physically).
In short - it makes no sense to run there bios updates for your graphic card/motherboard/DVD whatever.
It will not harm anything, but it will not work either. There is not any specific protection as you think. It does not work because it is nonsence. No way around it.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 5, by inquisitive

User metadata

First off, thanks for the quick replies guys! Why do I want to do it? Well.. I wanted to reflash my video card anyways, and there has to be a clever way to do it from windows; thought DOSBox may be a possibility. mirekluza thanks for clarifying exactly what DOSBox does, I appreciate it. As far as there not being any real protection, I'm not sure I agree. The whole point of protected mode is to prevent programs from interfering with others (I know I know the 4GB of addressable memory space too). I knew I could not do it from the command window for this reason; however, I found it interesting that I could at least start Flashrom from DOSBox. I realize that this seems to be an out there and wacky question to begin with, but companies such as MSI have a way to do video bios flashes from Windows (although I haven't actually seen it) and thought DOSBox may also provide a way. At any rate I haven't given up, anybody else with comments and suggestions please feel free to reply, even if to just call me nuts.

Reply 5 of 5, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To make an analogy of what you are trying to do: Its as if you are trying to replace your real car's engine by replacing a car engine inside of a driving game.