VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I know this is probably a dumb question, but is DosBOX clear of being a copyright infringement of MSDOS? 😖

Just making sure for my conscience's sake. 😁

-fruit 😀

Reply 3 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I do not think that there are any copyright problems in DOSBOX. You can sleep well, you will not go to prison for this ... (Rather for those pirated games you have at home 😀 😀 😀 ).

The only potentiall problem with copyright is in MT-32 support - therefore it was not integrated to standard DOSBOX.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@icemann: See Mt-32 forum. CANADACOW tried to get permission from Roland. The currrent situation is such that MT-32 emulator is allowed (but they reserve right to change their opinion - they argue it infringes their copyright, but they cannot find the proper documents at the moment).
I am not sure whether the above mentioned includes ROM - in any case to be on safe side ROM is not provided here (get it where you can 😀 ).

The lesson to be remembered for future: Honesty does NOT always pays off. Do not ask and you will not get bad answers. My guess is that Roland would not have even noticed it otherwise or they would ignore it (as it is with many other emulators). But when they were asked, they had to express opinion. And it was not very favourable.

Mirek

Reply 7 of 12, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe that my demonstration of good faith by bringing the issue to light probably worked out in the long run. If I hadn't attempted to obtain Roland's blessing, if for some reason they decided to sue, they would have an easier time trying to prove I was consciencously infriging. Because I made a good faith effort to research the copyrighted status to of the ROM, the worst they could consider me as is an innocent infringer (assuming the ROM were in fact copyrighted).

Reply 9 of 12, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So would it be legally dubious in any way if canadacow's MT-32 emulation was integrated into regular DOSBox, without including the ROM file? The emulation code itself isn't infringing, right?