VOGONS

Common searches

Questions about DOSBOX

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ThaSpaz

User metadata

Dear Old Skool gamers.
i have some questions with dosbox before i download it.
Can you play the games in a windows box (before it starts)?
What happens when theres a error in the game will the game go back like it would get back to dos and will the computer make weird beep sounds like an old pc?
Does One Must Fall 2097 work with DosBox or does it crash?
Why i ask these questions are cause when i was little (im still a kid) and played dos games like the lion king and it crashed it made very high beep sound and weird text was getting on the screen it was very scary. and i dont like playing Dos games full screen it makes it even more scary.
What would be good with errors if it apeared in a windows alert screen and then shutted off.
Maybe this sound dumb but i am scared to dos so could you please help me with these questions?

Reply 10 of 21, by Guest

User metadata

I have question (it´s NOT a complaint)...
I always felt that the ol´ Amiga was superior to PC and it was not until some years ago that i Think PC could compete whit it´s "magic" ... these days it possible to emulate whole Amiga whit different models and so ... The games look better then on the 386 and 486 ... So how come it´s possible to emulate a machine like the Amiga with less CPU and not emulate the PC aswell considering that performancewise I fell PC should require LESS....
Note : I mean no offense to the devs.... keep up the good work and thank u for this wonderful piece of software....
And if I get a reply plz explain it to me not TOO advanced terms ....
cheers!

Reply 11 of 21, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I assume and this is all it is... most (or is it all?) of the coding is done using C(++) and not Assembler coding. So I think that partially explains? why it is slower...

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 12 of 21, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Anonymous wrote:

So how come it´s possible to emulate a machine like the Amiga with less CPU and not emulate the PC aswell considering that performancewise I fell PC should require LESS....

You cannot judge the perfomance of a computer platform according to the quality of games.
PC was more powerfull than Amiga when you compare processors. The reason why Amiga games looked better was in the fact that it was made for games (unlike PC which was made as an office computer and only later used for games). Amiga was half way between computers and consoles. As a matter of fact it was designed as console, then monitor and keyboard were added. This was later partially reason for the Amiga's downfall - its architecture was very unfriendly towards modification (unlike PC's).
You can check for example Nintendo consoles - games on SNES were much better looking than PC games, even though SNES had very weak processor (I think Z80) and minimum memory (I do not remember how much, but it was not more than 64 KB - probably less).
PC was made universal and extendable and in emulation we pay for it (unlike simple consoles like SNES, or "half-consoles" like Amiga).
Saying that, I cannot of course deny that written in assembler DOSBOX would not be quicker. It would be - but I guess perhaps 20% more (or number like that), it would not be several times quicker.

Mirek

Reply 13 of 21, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in the day, when programs weren't multithreading and executing billions of instructions a second, simple hand-coded assembly almost always won out over high level code. More often than not this idea is no longer true. For a lot of things, compilers can optimize with the target CPU in mind better than humans can. The only exception is for the SIMD instructions like MMX, SSE and 3DNow, where assembly is still required. My estimate is that coding DosBox completely in assemler would actually stand a chance of being faster by only 1-2% if not potentially even slower.

Reply 14 of 21, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably true, since I'm not familiar with all the coding. But yeah, that is true about the PC but you can not deny that people were DEMOing the PC. Take the Future Crew DEMOS and the massive international DEMO scene when DOS was quite prevalent.

Also another Psudeo computer is one called Commodore 64 which was actually in competition with IBM well back in the 80s and it was winning.. Alas they took too long in coming out with a new system and IBM ran them over and they went "bankrupt."

You could program things with the Commodore 64 right from the start of gettin the system. it only had 64kbs of memory. Insane. Everything was read off of the old large Floppy disks (where the name came from of course.)

Anybody could program for it so there were all sorts of software. Not to forget the SID Chip for Sound... Now that was an interesting little chip. THere's way too much for me to say about this system without making a whole new thread. 🤣.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 15 of 21, by Iron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Priestlyboy you seem to forget that amiga WAS the new system of Commodore. And it was Very popular. They just weren't as good in the business stuff as the computer stuff. Bad choices ended their story when pc was developing into a gaming platform.

I sure am a great fan of the C64 and I still play with them when I have too much time. The C64 assembler was simple and it was easy programmable machine indeed. The sound chip SID was also chosen one of the top20 things of the computer history.

Reply 16 of 21, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is incorrect. Amiga started as a separate company from Commodore and were later bought out. Commodore chose to market the Amiga as the successor to the Commodore. The thing that killed Commodore was the same thing that's hindered Apple this entire time with the Mac. They kept the hardware proprietary and limited. IBM tried to do so but the spec was so general that the only thing unique to the PC was the BIOS. Pheonix made a clone of the BIOS and IBM tried to sue and lost. This landmark case is what opened the PC for cloning, which in turn made it an open platform anyone could manufacture for. This is one major reason why nearly everyone uses a PC today.

Reply 17 of 21, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
canadacow wrote:

The thing that killed Commodore was the same thing that's hindered Apple this entire time with the Mac. They kept the hardware proprietary and limited. IBM tried to do so but the spec was so general that the only thing unique to the PC was the BIOS. Pheonix made a clone of the BIOS and IBM tried to sue and lost. This landmark case is what opened the PC for cloning, which in turn made it an open platform anyone could manufacture for. This is one major reason why nearly everyone uses a PC today.

Yes, there are quite a few such cases in computer industry. A company makes something good, tries to prevent anyone else to profit from it, in the end finding out that their "super" technology/product whatsoever was overtaken by somebody else. Apple made fun of IBM when they were starting with PCs. They (Apple) knew they had a better computer than IBM. But they were too greedy, wanted all profits for themselves and no clones. Now they are small minority. They have very dedicated fans (PC users have never loved PCs as Mac users love Macs), but they are behind PCs in all things with exception of design (yes, Macs look better than PCs).
This does not imply better judgment of IBM, they just did bad work in trying to protect their designs (nlike Apple, Commodore etc.) and they were unable to stop clones, although they tried (as CANADACOW wrote).

Mirek

Reply 19 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you don't use vdmsound with dosbox

and speed it up => read the manual (README.txt)
and it won't run out of your memory if you speed it up. it might run out of your cpu time though 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!