VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

At my office we have an IBM System 390 mainframe (one of the old "big irons") that has a partition running a version of SUSe Linux. Looking in the /boot directory, it appears the kernel version is something like 2.4.19-3suse-SMP. I set it up as an XDMCP server and am accessing it remotely through an X server (Exceed) on my Windows desktop.

Just for fun, I downloaded DOSBox 6.1 to this critter. It configured and compiled okay, but whenever I try to run it, it dies with the following message:

CONFIG: Using default settings. Create a configfile to change them
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 72 (X_PutImage)
Serial number of failed request: 15
Current serial number in output stream: 16

Other X- and KDE-based programs work just fine. In fact, I'm sending this post from the very same machine using Konqueror.

Anybody got an idea as to what I need to do to fix this?

Reply 2 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm dosbox uses opengl that might mess it up.

try this
DOSBOX_MIXER_NOSOUND=true ./dosbox

if that doesn't work wait for the next version of dosbox as that one doesn't use opengl by default

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 8, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think it would be very useful. s390 machines are quite limited in processor power. Unless you have something like top-of-the line z900 machine it doesn't even come close to an average x86 desktop computer. And that's certainly not enough for a demanding program as dosbox is. On the other side, I don't see any reason why it's not working if it compiles ok...

Reply 5 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

Not useful, you say? Heh. What part of "just for fun" didn't you understand? 😀

From what I've been told, the virtual machine I'm on emulates something like a 300 or 400 MHz machine. Given the fact that that this same mainframe is simultaneously running three or four other, similar virtual Linux boxes plus a couple of MVS batch regions plus three or four CICS regions plus I don't know what else, I'd say that's moderately impressive.

But no, I don't expect it will run DOSBox all that fast. I just think it would be cool to be able to run DOS programs on a mainframe.

Reply 6 of 8, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure I understand the fun part 😁 I remember the first time I was compiling BitchX on a P390...it took about 2.5h and the only thing I wanted is to go to irc any type uname -a 😜 Mainframes have a really good I/O performance and I guess having a few gigs of ram also helps, but most of the stuff that's running is not that processor intensive. I've seen a mainframe being taken down when a single linux app was stuck in a loop....depends on your configuration, your boss might not be happy if dosbox takes all the resources 😉 😉

Reply 7 of 8, by dtaylor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just downloaded v .6.2. It actually runs on the mainframe. It's slower than molasses in January, but I'm amazed it runs at all. I'll be playing with frame-skip and stuff like that to see how fast I can get it to go. Hoo-ha!

Reply 8 of 8, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look at the dosbox wiki, I've written a guide for dosbox on low-end hardware (well, for some definition of "low-end" 😀 ). It shows how I get dosbox running mostly acceptable on my 333MHz laptop, perhaps that helps.