VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MaxRideWizardLord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been searching for hours straight, but couldn't find anything. Most what I could find is to change resolutions to widescreens monitors, but I do need to change it for 5:4, i.e. 1280x1024

No matter what I've tried to change in the options .bat, they all result to be a widescreened, which is ugly and unfitting, leaving huge black bars at top and bottom as well. I doubt that many, if any, of the oldschool games during 90's era were even made with widescreen in mind.

Reply 2 of 4, by MaxRideWizardLord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Does aspect=true and output = other than surface do what you want?

Nope. Here are configs I use:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1280x1024
windowresolution=1280x1024
output=ddraw
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74-3.map
usescancodes=true

I have no idea what's the difference between output ddraw, or opengl or whatever, could be that be the case?

EDIT: just a sidenote, aspect=true turns my monitor to 4:3 resoultion, instead of 5:4

EDIT2: it keeps staying widescreen regardless of options for games like HeXen. It really makes me salty.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:

I have no idea what's the difference between output ddraw, or opengl or whatever, could be that be the case?

In simple words -speaking under correction-:
DirectDraw works natively on Windows XP and earlier. It supports interpolation/scaling.
Since Vista, it is "emulated" and looks *ugly*, there's no direct framebuffer access anymore (except if XP drivers are used *maybe*).
Direct3D works natively on any Windows ands supports scaling & shaders in some DOSBox forks.
OpenGL is OS-independent and supports scaling, interpolation etc.
Surface/WinDIB use raw pixel output. On Windows, they use good ol' GDI.
(Normally, these output methods are handled by the SDL library.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//