VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ProDigit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Use the 'SET' command, to get back a lot of functionality of MSDOS/FreeDOS executables.

First, obtain either original MSDOS executable/command files (like defrag, mode, qbasic, lotus123 ….), or get the FreeDoS version here: http://www.freedos.org/download/.
For FreeDOS, use the USB FUll installer image, and use 7Z, WinRAR, or another compression program to open the image file; to extract all the files you need, and put them into a directory (say, named "DOS")
FreeDOS base DOS commands are found within the "FDSETUP\BIN\" folder.
FreeDOS extra DOS commands have to be extracted, but can be found within the "FDSETUP\PACKAGES\BASE\" folder.
Each .zip file, has a 'BIN' directory in it, with executable files, where of some can be ran from DOSBox.

Mount the directory inside DOSBox, (or if the directory already is in a mounted DOSBox directory, it'll automatically appear upon the next DOSBox reboot).

type:

set path=DOS

where 'DOS' = the directory you've put the DOS commands in, or you can also set it to the drive you've mounted your folder to.

Now you should be able to run all compatible programs that are copied in this directory, straight from anywhere inside DOSBox.

Reply 1 of 2, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ProDigit wrote:

obtain either original MSDOS executable/command files (like defrag, mode, qbasic, lotus123 ….)

Well, I certainly hope you don't plan to run defrag in DOSBox... 🤣 The rest are fine.

ProDigit wrote:

(or if the directory already is in a mounted DOSBox directory, it'll automatically appear upon the next DOSBox reboot)

I think Ctrl+F4 will force it to rescan all mount points and it will appear immediately.

ProDigit wrote:

Now you should be able to run all compatible programs that are copied in this directory, straight from anywhere inside DOSBox

Another tip - if your MSDOS program complains about incorrect DOS version, it can be set through DOSBox's ver set <major> <minor> command.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 2, by ProDigit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tips!
Dosbox can't run defrag, even when elevated to admin rights? I've never tried it before.
I just plan on running Norton Commander or clone at best.
I wonder if there's still any programs made today for the original 16 bit version, or later dosbox versions?