VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I have switched to MX Linux for DOSBox or dos games because Windows requires too much PII for the Microsoft Accounts, instead of being able to use a local account right off the bat...

Reply 1 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I use DOSBox Linux exclusively under Linux (when I use DOSBox), but I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 8, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

because trying to install windows 10 as a sandbox requires a Microsoft account, an online account, you cannot do an offline local account UNTIL you sign up and get an outlook account. It requires too much red tape to simply use for sandboxing. I thought MX Linux would be a good choice, but because its Linux it doesn't initialize the wifi card upon installation just on Live CD... that's a problem will all Linux versions I have encountered, It sees the WIFI on Live CD but not after installation... I am so pissed at myself because I can't have it both ways.

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 10 can be installed just fine without signing in. I do it all the time. Latest build verified with was v1909

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm, mabye they do that on Windows Home. I never bother with that but that's probably what it is.

Disabling the network connection should work.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 8, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I have experienced, there was an intermediate time that Microsoft absolutely required an account of some kind, but they got a ton of backlash and reintroduced the offline account option. I setup about 15 laptops a year that I buy directly from Dell, and I went through a period of about 6 months where I had to create a "dummy" account to go through first setup. In later months, I can immediately select "offline account" again. This is on the same model laptop with the same version of windows. Honestly though, the "dummy" account isn't a big deal, you could make up whatever info you want and then just switch it off and use the same dummy for everything.