VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by reble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1st off, I am running a Gateway laptop model NV540P-184, OS WiN 10 Home 64 bit . After I down loaded the (they say freeware) Dos version of SC 2k . I have a payed Win 95 version of SC 2K. I tried installing the DOS version of SC 2K. The 1st attempt at installing SC 2K, the installer got 3/4th of the way through the install, then just plain crashed as well as DosBox it self. Now the installer says that the dir that I made for the game to install to, and I pointed the installer to that dir (the dir is still on the C: drive). The installer says the entire path doesn't exist.
The manual string that I type to get to the install.exe is, Z:\mount D (The D: drive is a laptop HD in an external USB case) D:\back-up -c "D:" Then I have to type "D:" manually because the part of the line ( -c "D:") is not working. Then I use the cd cmd to change the dir's until I get to the dir where the install.exe is. I have purity good size of MS-DOS games. I have bat files made up for each Dos game that I have. They all work very good via Dosbox on 64 bit. So why won't SC 2K dos install?

PS: the Windows 95 version that I have of Sim City 2K has a " proof of purchase " bare code on the inside front cover.

Steve
From the desk of the Amateur Radio Station of KC7BYP.

Reply 1 of 6, by reble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found and downloaded a SimCity 2k MS-DOS version that will work with DosBox. The game starts up and runs fine except I have NO Sound Effects. I have music but no Sound Effects. Bellow is the games config file. I think the Sound Effects settings are off some how or the game has the wrong Sound Effects driver loaded up. This is all that I could find, about the built in sound card in the Gateway laptop. Realtek Audio Driver 6.0.1.5904. Could someone please help me get the game Sound Effects working

--------------
[SimCity 2000 Configuration File]

[Video]
VIDEONAME=VESA Super VGA
VIDEOCARD=ve:31

[Music]
MUSICNAME=Sound Blaster 16
MUSICDRIVER=A32SP2FM.DLL
MUSICADDRESS=*
MUSICIRQ=*
MUSICDMA=*
MUSICDRQ=*

[Sound Effects]
SFXNAME=Sound Blaster Pro
SFXDRIVER=A32SBPDG.DLL
SFXADDRESS=220
SFXIRQ=5
SFXDMA=1
SFXDRQ=*

[MIDI Bank]
MUSICFILES=SB

Steve

Reply 3 of 6, by reble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What IRQ setting should I use?

PS: how do I kill the intro music in the config file?

quote=Qbix post_id=869822 time=1593249504 user_id=395]IRQ is wrong[/quote]

Steve

Reply 5 of 6, by reble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That did it. I got the Sound Effects now. Now how do I kill the music from the config file?

Qbix wrote on 2020-06-27, 09:56:

Steve

Reply 6 of 6, by reble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your help Qbix. I figured out how to kill the music in the config file. I removed the "*" from each of the lines bellow and left each of the lines after the equal sign blank. No more intro music as the game starts up and no music during game play.

MUSICADDRESS=*
MUSICIRQ=*
MUSICDMA=*
MUSICDRQ=*

Steve