VOGONS

Common searches

Problems running Win95 on DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by bullyards

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section, I'm new here.

So, I've been trying to play nightmare ned on windows 10 but with no luck, so I followed dosbox95.darktraveller tutorial and tried to run it on dosbox with windows 95 but I've run into some troubles.

1 - I manage to install the game on the .img created for windows95 but it asks to be played on a CD. I've installed Virtual CloneDrive and a error keeps showing (cfgmgr32.dll not found), downloaded the .dll and put it on the installation folder and it says the .dll is missing something inside it.

2 - Tried to run a CD Drive on it with this command:
"imgmount 2 windows95.img -size 512,63,64,520 -t hdd -fs none -ide 1m
imgmount d nightned.iso -t iso -ide 2m"
but it doesn't appear on windows 95.

Did I installed a bad version of windows95? Did I mess up in some point? What can I do to make this problems go away?
This is the link with the folder I'm using, with dosbox daum and the images(windows95 and nightmarened.iso) the windows is in portuguese. Could someone help?
(edit link to software deleted by Dominus)

Attachments

• dosbox.JPG
    Filename
    dosbox.JPG
    File size
    45.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Dominus on 2020-10-03, 12:21. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link to win95 images

Reply 1 of 3, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBox is for DOS gaming only, and Win95 is not officially supported in any way. For example, it does not support IDE interface so that CD drive will never appear in Win9x.

If you want to run Windows 9x, please use DOSBox-X instead, which officially supports Windows 9x (in addition to DOS and Windows 3.x). DOSBox-X comes with many other features as well.

A guide for running Win95 in DOSBox-X is available from: https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/wi … ling-Windows-95

Reply 2 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. as Wengier suggests
2. Never use Dosbox-daum again, it is really old by now and broken in places (for example it uses earlier, then not fully working features of DOSBox-X)
3. Do not share copyrighted material (e.g. images of Windows 95 etc.) here.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 3, by Jroonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, Dosbox-x is the preferred method for Win95, but to answer the question about where the DLL is...

cfgmgr32.dll is installed with IE5.5 SP2. The installer for IE is also available to download in the instructions provided by darktraveller:
https://dosbox95.darktraveler.com/important.html.

Side note: If you happened to read this message before this correction/edit. I was mistaken earlier, as I thought it came with the DirectX8a install.